Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air conditioning unit in my car sucks. It blows semi cool air. Had it recharged. They say newer kits are less noiser,dont rattle and are a lot better. Has anyone purchased a newer kit and added it to their current AC unit?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
What kit are you talking about? If you mean a vintage air type setup it should be better for the money. My car blows cold air but not much volume. After 30+ years you may want to remove the evaporator and be sure it isnt clogged with debris that can restrict air flow...

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
First thing is to make sure that your coolant shut off valve is actually functioning. It is in one of the heater hoses that feeds the heater core. The valve is controlled by vacuum, and shuts off the flow of hot water to the heater core when you turn on the A/C. Have someone cycle the A/C on and off and watch it to see if it functions correctly. Very often it will get crusted up, or rusted open from lack of use. If it doesn't work, the heater core will always have hot water flowing which will prevent the system from cooling down. also, the control valve for this is located under the pass side dash, on the heater box, and sometimes will come out of adjustment. Check the valve to verify it works, and we'll take it from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts