Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
If your pump was originally blue/teal (determined by the tag on the back which indicates who made it) then there are a couple of places that sell the rattle can. Not every batch seems to turn out acceptable tones or colors but places like NPD and Virgina sell the stuff. The color appears to be somewhat of a batch color where the amount of blue, green and metallic varied a little.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
yelostang said:
........ Maybe the color did vary, but the Ford "batch" appeared to be VERY similar over the years.

Got to differ on this one since I'm currently going through the process of "matching" one of the tones currently and have collected about six original blue/teal pumps as samples.

This being said, yes there are products out there that are not "in the range" of what they used. But the original ones are not all the same IMHo from what I'm looking at ;).

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
bighorse said:
Jeff, I haven't seen any blue '71 pumps, only black. What determined which color they were painted? Do you have any photos of a blue pump?

Been posted here and elsewhere a number of times (used in one of my articles in the Mustang Times many years ago)

The tag attached to the rear of the pump indicates who made the pump and in turn what color (from Ford's TSB's)

TRW = Black (tag , bottom line 2nd didget W)
Ford Thompson = Blue (tag center line F in line)

Will see if I can get some good pictures to show some tones and hues

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I'm not sure if they corrected it yet, but NPD was selling the wrong color paint for a while. It was more of a Pontiac light blue metallic instead of teal.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Was the brand of pump used determined by which assembly plant produced the car? To the best of my recollection, all of the cars I've had my hands on were Dearborn cars and I've never seen a blue power steering pump. I'd like to put something in the Tech section of my website. Do you have any photos of the different tags?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The can we were selling (AP-PSP) was one of the few not of our own making. I am in the process of creating our own mix (AP-PSPE) based on original samples provided to me by customers. I am waiting on another test spray now.
Scott

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
bighorse said:
Was the brand of pump used determined by which assembly plant produced the car?
Often different suppliers were used (or provided the majority of an item) at different plants. One example would be the MADE IN USA and the MADE IN CANADA marked shocks.

bighorse said:
To the best of my recollection, all of the cars I've had my hands on were Dearborn cars and I've never seen a blue power steering pump. I'd like to put something in the Tech section of my website. Do you have any photos of the different tags?
I'll have to see if I have a graphic or the tags ... If I forget please email me to remind me... Lots of things on the fire ;)

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Scott302 said:
............. I am in the process of creating our own mix (AP-PSPE) based on original samples provided to me by customers. I am waiting on another test spray now.

Hope it turns out well. Will keep me from having some made ;)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My Boss 351 came to me with the p/s pump removed and bypassed, how can I determine which pump/color I need?

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts