Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Friends

In a search for a AOD transmission . A friend of a friend has a 71 mustang AOD automatic tranny that has been rebuilt. So the seller says. So I want to know will it mate up to the back end of a early 1967 289 engine? And will i have to chop the drive train? By Timing cover stamp its a 67 engine in my 66 fastback.
Thx for any wisdom and info !

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Ford's AOD didn't debut until 1980, and they may have it in a 71, and it may work, depending on condition, bellhousing and making sure it isn't the 1991 or 1992 AODE or a 4R70W that are much like the AOD but require an electronic controller like the later car's fuel injection computer and harness or an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford's AOD didn't debut until 1980, and they may have it in a 71, and it may work, depending on condition, bellhousing and making sure it isn't the 1991 or 1992 AODE or a 4R70W that are much like the AOD but require an electronic controller like the later car's fuel injection computer and harness or an aftermarket one.
Was there a year cut off point when the electronics started.. I would hope that I don't even need the Cable model. I would like it to be old school working off hydraulic pressure to sense shift points.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Late 1990 -1991 they went electronic I think. And I believe all the AODs have the "TV cable" design to operate. I stuck with my C4s and love 'em.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Late 1990 -1991 they went electronic I think. And I believe all the AODs have the "TV cable" design to operate. I stuck with my C4s and love 'em.

Dont you get frustrated at the lack of a freeway gear? I need to shift into fourth non existent gear and 55 mph? the loud noise levels?

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Dont you get frustrated at the lack of a freeway gear? I need to shift into fourth non existent gear and 55 mph? the loud noise levels?
I have a 2.80 rear end so on my occasional long trip (not usually on interstates - unpredictable and full of trash) I am running 2200-2500 -ish rpm and the engine is happy. My exhaust isn't as loud as it used to be. Sweet music on the open road !!
I have thought about an AOD, but the cost of a QUALITY AOD build and swap for the amount of time I actually spend at interstate speeds for long periods isn't worth it. My 289 is just waking up at 70 and I have enough room under my accelerator pedal to fit my entire other foot. I like it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have a 2.80 rear end so on my occasional long trip (not usually on interstates - unpredictable and full of trash) I am running 2200-2500 -ish rpm and the engine is happy. My exhaust isn't as loud as it used to be. Sweet music on the open road !!
I have thought about an AOD, but the cost of a QUALITY AOD build and swap for the amount of time I actually spend at interstate speeds for long periods isn't worth it. My 289 is just waking up at 70 and I have enough room under my accelerator pedal to fit my entire other foot. I like it.
The last year for the AOD was 93, then in 94 they came out with the AODE, which you do not want. You have to use a 164 tooth flexplate with 28 onuce. transmission mount sets back so you have to make or buy a bracket for the mount, but can use the C-4 mount itself. You have to use a TV cable for the carb, shifter set up will take some work, but you can buy a cable for that, they made a long and short tail housing, so you dont know about the drive shaft untill you install in car and check it, The safty which is different so you will need to cut your wires to tie into that.

·
Registered
36,200 Posts
Frustrated? Hell no. Cruising down the highway at 75... 3,000 rpm... a sweet song from the exhaust...and if I need to accelerate around slow traffic there's no downshifting. Mileage on trips at that speed average 20-21. People are too used to driving cars that are build to meet government fuel economy standards and idle at highway speed.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Back in the old days people drove coast to coast without overdrive.

Im keeping the C4 and 2.80 gears. I would rather spend the 2k on other stuff.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
If the engine is loud or sounds like it's thrashing away, most likely it's your fan. Switch to a clutched unit and all that noise is gone at highway speeds. It's pretty much the first thing I do on my cars, get me a couple MPG to boot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a 68 with a 351w and a C4. My rear is a 8" with 2.79 gears. She does just fine on the S. FL highways, and not bad on the gas and I even have the yellow spring on my secondaries. She can still accelerate nice, and though I do not have my tac in yet, I can tell she is humming on down the road. Heck I came from a car show yesterday, was coming on the curve by the stadium, decided to test my TCP setup. DId a downshift to second, took the curve like a champ, accelerated out and went back into drive....I was rolling pass people and looked down. 80+ no sweat. Woa....So yeah the C4 gets it done.

When I decide that I need a OD, I have done enough research on the Gear Vendor so I'll toss one of those in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts