Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I don't have much ford experience (i've always been partial to dodge), but i did pick up a project a few years ago that i'm going to start on this spring. It's a 72 Mustang. But that's about where my knowledge of mustang ends. There's decals on the front quarter panels that look factory and clearly say BOSS 302. From what i've found Ford only made the Boss 302 in 69 and 70. The car has a Mach one hood (the dual snorkel one) spoiler (that looks factory) sunroof, sidepipes and a four speed. -Is there any chance that the sidepipes are factory?? How about the sunroof? I looked at the tag on the inside of the drivers door, and from what i can gather it's suppose to be a Grande with a 302, but i'm not sure if i'm reading it right or not.

- i thought that this would be the place to figure out what i have, and what it's gonna take to get this beast on the road again........thanx in advance.

mike

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
IIRC there were no Boss cars made in 72. The last of the Boss Mustangs was the Boss 351, and that was made in 71 only. Do you have a photo? I am sure the pros on here would be able to help identify it.

Also, check out the Mustang Decoder Disk. Plug in your VIN and Data Plate information and it should tell you what you need to know. It doesn't tell you everything, but it's a darn good start.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You are coreect about the Boss 302 only being produced in 69 and 70. The sidepipes and sunroof are aftermarket. There is a web page that will decode your door tag, I'm sure someone can chime in with the web address. Welcome to the forum.

Joe

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sounds like someone tried to dress up your car before you got it. The side pipes and stickers can be removed, but I think the sunroof is a lost cause. I hope it seals well!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I understand your affection to Mopars. I sure like 'em and there are a lot of other VMF'ers that have a soft spot for them. I think you may be "converted" though if you hang out here for a little while. These folks grow on you, they are friendly, helpful, and encouraging. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts