Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be installing white face gauges soon.whats involved in removing the gauge cluster from the dash. any tips would be appreciated. thanks randy. :: also while i have the gauges out should i do anything to improve the dim lighting of these gauges.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Randy,
I pulled my guage cluster out about a month ago. It was not a bad job. IIRC, you remove a cover on the end of the dash (next to the driver's door) and also the screws around the guage cluster. I thought for a while that I was going to have to remove the dash pad or steering wheel to get it completely out, but I kept working with it until it came out. The speedometer cable is easy to disconnect. I think there was just a plastic tab on the side of the collar that released it. There is one main electrical plug that is easy to disconnect on the back of the cluster, and on mine, there was one bulb with it's own wire on the lower left side (alternator idiot light, I think).

I replaced all of the bulbs while I was in there (there are a bunch of them) and cleaned the electrical contacts. I also removed the blue plastic lenses. My dash lights are still not bright, but they are much better than before. You might want to look at the light switch also while it's easier to get to.

If you have a Haynes manual, it gives good instructions for removing the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Putting the white face applique's should brighten things up quite a bit. oboebrian_az put together a step-by-step of brightening things up but keeps the original gauge face color. Try a search to see what he did.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Putting the white face applique's should brighten things up quite a bit. oboebrian_az put together a step-by-step of brightening things up but keeps the original gauge face color. Try a search to see what he did.
http://www.desertmustangs.com/1972coupe/InstraGauge-Repair/Gauge-Repair.htm

It works great except for that a month after i put the cluster back in the two bulbs i didn't change burned out so i have to pull the cluster again. But it did improve the lighting dramatically before the two bulbs burning out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts