Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 mach, originally had a 351 4v windsor & 3 spd. I saw a 72 gran torino sport for sale, 2300 obo with 83k original miles on a 351C CJ. I have an automatic trans from a 70 mach lined up at a junk yard. QUestion is, If I could get the car for 2 grand, could I take the engine, and pop it into my car, and sell the rest of the gran torino for??? WOuld there be a market for those parts? Would the rear fit in the stang? The gran torino has some rust issues but isnt horrible.. Thanks - HOles...

·
Registered
313 Posts
The CJ is a low compression 4V Cleveland. It has 4V ports but has 2V valves and open combustion chambers. You can make it work, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Motor mounts are the same as a 351W.

Your Mach should already have a 9" rear, unless it has been removed. If both cars have 28 spline axles, the center sections are interchangeable. According to my source, the housing is 2" wider than the Mustang rear.

Don't know about the rest. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! My mach HAS had its rear replaced with a later mustang 2.79 8", so I need one of those. I didnt realize that about the 351C, the junkyard that has the trans also has a 3.5" posi for $300 and a 69 351W 4V that needs rebuilding for $400. I can probably get all three (engine, tranny and rear) for $750 so that looks like my best bet. I know it will be a pain though to find all the little pullies, vac. tree etc. etc. that I need to finish the job... Thanks!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
That cleveland has open chambers and 4V valves, and very likely 4 bolt mains. A cleveland will stomp a windsor in factory trim. If originality is what your after go with the windsor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If I could get a 69 351w, trans, and rear for $750, I wouldn't fool with the torino. There isn't much demand for a 72 gran torino in less than good condition with no driveline. My Mach had a 4v Cleveland out of a 70 mach 1 when i bought it. I have since purchased a 69 Windsor and am building it for my car. I still have the Cleveland but think I will be more satisfied with the Windsor.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I agre with Matt - If you can get a drivetrain at a good price, leave the Torino alone. I think you would have trouble trying to unload the Torino.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips! I think Ill have to talk with the junkman....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts