Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am back from the war and I have missed my 69 sportsroof soo bad. Anyways a buddy of mine is parting out a Gran Torino 71-73 he is not sure. Are the disk brakes and rear end compatible to an early mustang 65-69 I don't have an interchange and I have already done a search but no luck If someone could tell me I would appreciate it. The Gran Torino has a 302 in it and disc brakes.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Sorry, I can't help with the info, just wanted to say thanks for a good job over there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, no problem I would do it again any day because not only are we fighting for our freedom of democracy we are fighting for the freedom to enjoy these beautiful masterpieces of the sixties and seventies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You if we didn't have people back home sending things like cookies and lettersof encouragement half of us would not have kept our sanity. I did a lot of correspondance with school children and that kept my mind off of the heat and reality that I was living in a tent. So in turn I should say to you thanks for being there for us.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Concerning the rear end, the 65-66 Mustangs use a narrower unit than the 67-68 but I don't recall if the 69-70 rears are the same or wider than 67-68. You could use, at the minimum, the center section, since that is not dependant on the housing width.

I can't find my info right now about housing widths, try a search here to find the info needed to compare sizes.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Here's a 9-inch rear end width chart: http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html.

The '71 is the older body style. The '72 is the first year of the "Starsky and Hutch" body style but with the large oval grille and a split bumper. The '73 is the "Starsky and Hutch" body style with the grille all above a full-width front bumper. The '72-up are probably have the wider 61.25" rear end.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
72/up torinos use coil springs on the rear with a 3 link type suspension. 70/71 torino housings will fit the 71-73 mustang and cougar width wise but the spring perches are farther apart. the front spindals(70/71) will fit 65-73 mustang/cougar. the 72 up will fit galaxie/full size ford only. and thanks for keeping the freedom.
SSgt. sean m. lloyd ex/USAF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information. I didn't want to let this car go to the crusher without pulling the good stuff, that is the good stuff for a early mustang. and no problem for the freedom fight, just my part of the big picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.