Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I have a 1972 mustang im working on. I re did the interior and swapped out the original 302 for another 302 I already had. Everything is in now but problem. The car won’t start. When you turn the key it’ll click at the starter solenoid but won’t crank.
I wired everything correctly.(Atleast I believe I have)
I’ve changed the starter solenoid, the starter, and the ignition switch. Even cleaned up some grounds. Now there is also another problem, it seems the throttle cable is hot ? It has current in it and when I touch the end to a piece of metal, it sparks and also makes the starter solenoid click. I’m assuming there’s a shortage somewhere but how and where? The car started up fine before the swap. So it seems the firewall has current. There are no wires touching the gas pedal. I also took out the neutral safety switch, when I attempt to start the car I connect it through the engine bay but not through the shifter so I Don’t know if that matters
I wanted to see if anyone could help me before I gut out the interior looking for a lose or stripped wire.
THANK YOU In advance

·
Registered
35,157 Posts
Now there is also another problem, it seems the throttle cable is hot ?
Sure sign of a bad ground. Given that it doesn't crank I'd check the ground connections between the battery and block, and between the block and firewall. Your throttle cable is being used as a ground.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
To reiterate Bart's post, make sure you installed the ground strap which connects the block to the firewall. Make sure there is no paint where the ground strap connects at the block and at the firewall. If these areas are painted, scrape, scuff or sand them down to bare metal.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Yep, the throttle cable is functioning as the engine to chassis ground.

Ford did a really dumb ground cable layout on the 71-73 Mustangs (any other years as well), in that the (-) battery cable grounded to the lower sheetmetal screw that attaches the voltage regulator to the fender apron, and then travels to the engine block. Many times the apron connection is not reattached and you have your issue. Pic below is of the factory cable set from NPD. And a pic for reference. I would clean and reattached the battery to engine ground and fabricate a battery to apron ground and see if that fixes your issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts