Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Finally hooking up my altenator and voltage regulator on my 72 and at the tail end of a 4 year restore and almost there!

My question is on the voltage regulator pigtail wiring. There are two quick dissconects, one is a single lead, the other is a single as well but is made up like a double although one side is blank. The single I could not find what it connected to but possibly it is for a resistor and the other had a mate coming through the wiring harness.

When I started the car everything worked fine but when I went to shut it off it would not shut off. Since it wouldn't shut I disconected the the one quick disconnect (double) and the car stayed running but would then shut off correctly. I tried it a few times with it disconnected and it continued to work correctly.

My concern is that it is suppose to be connected?? And the second concern is what is the other quick disconnect for? I tried looking at some car pics of others cars but could not get a clear enough view of that area.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I will try to dig the cover off of my 73 this weekend and take a look and snap a picture.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
You have simply copied your original post that received no replies (except a question from me trying to clarify your question) without really clarifying your question. Perhaps your '72 has something different than my '71, but I find no "quick disconnects" on my voltage regulator wiring, with the exception of the plug that connects to the VR itself (the flat brown plug on the shock tower side of the VR). On my '71, one of the four wires exiting the VR plug goes to the instrument panel printed circuit (the light green w/ red stripe wire that has the inline fuse), while the other three go either directly or indirectly to the alternator (plus one for a radio condenser). There are no "quick disconnects". When you refer to "quick disconnects", I think of the plugs on the ignition wires that slip onto the threaded studs on the starter solenoid. I've attached a photo of mine so you can either confirm that your '72 is different or identify the wire(s) in question.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/717460/5767573/124716873.jpg

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Here is a '71 wiring diagram for the Ignition, Charging, and Starting system for a gauge car, and please note that the photo of my '71 above reflects the wiring for a Tachometer car which lacks one wire from the voltage regulator to the alternator.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/717460/5767573/124721351.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for getting back with me. I did reply to you (copied below) Not sure why you didn't get it???

Thanks for the photo! I do not see the disconnects on yours that are on mine. Possibly a difference between the 71 and 72. I refere to them as "quick disconnects" maybe "plug" or "in-line" disconnect would be a better term but they are not the two plugs that go over the threaded leads on the relay. Being that yours didn't have them I can see why you might think that. I got your schematic and will try to put it into an image editor and blow it up. It is a hard to read as is but may be of some help. I'll keep you posted!
Very much appreciate the the reply!!!

Tom

(REPLY)
Thanks for getting back with me, I was begining to wonder if anyone was going to respond!

Possibly my discription is hard to follow.

I am describing the voltage regulator and the wires off of it's plug or pigtail. If you have a 71-73 possibly a quick look is all it would take?

I was pretty darn sure I had all the wiring correct, it seemed odd what happened and that it worked fine once I disconnested the one plug. The one single plug I discribe may possibly be to a condensor for the radio? I looked at a pic of a car today and it appeared that there was a condensor tied in right underneath the voltage regulator, but would like to be sure.

The one plug is really my biggest concern, it just seems that it would need to be plugged in? Any help or direction is appreciated!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I would appreciate a pic. I got a good pic of a 71 but they appear to be different. Possibly the 72 and 73 are the same? I was also supplied a schematic that might be of some help if I can enhance the image well enough to see it.
Thanks for getting back with me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts