Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to repair the cowl on my 72,I hope you guys give me some guidance. The cowl has several holes I can get at some of them but the ones near the vent hats are not easily accessible.Is welding patches in the only way to fix this area,are there any epoxy type repairs? Does anyone sell a repair cowl for the 1972 mustang? I appreciate any helpful advice Thanks in advance

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went through what you are going through now. I had a bad problem with the upper and lower cowl being beyond repair. After alot of searching, I ended up at Desert Auto Parts in Phoenix, Arizona. It was five hundred bucks for the whole upper and lower cowl and one hundred twenty to send it to me.
Kerry

·
Registered
992 Posts
I repaired mine from underneath by removing the instrument panel and cutting out the bad part.

I took the part I cut out to a local builder and he made me a new patch piece with the hat.

I welded it in from underneath then sealed it from the top with a flow out type sealer used by auto repair shops to seal places that can't be reached.

Sluggo

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have the same problem with my 72 Mach--rusted on the passengers side. I plan to cut it out from underneath and use structural bonding adhesive to glue in a replacement section/panel. I could mig weld it, but think that structural bonding would actually be a better finish to prevent future rust from heating the metal and burning away the paint.

I don't have the parts yet, but have found a donor car I can get the parts from for $150. I was also planning to compare that area to the measurements and templates I took of my 69 Fastback. If they are the same, I may just buy new panels for a 69 and cut them and use them. Anyone know if the hat area is the same?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
If the rust holes are very big, you'll have to have donor metal from another car. I repaired some of the smaller holes in my cowl with mesh sheetrock tape and POR Patch. I would cover the hole with the mesh and fill and surface the area with the POR Patch. The larger areas were replaced with donor metal. Here is a link to some of the repairs.

Link

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow...yours is actually a little worse than mine. I feel better now. It seems easier to start into a project when you have seen evidence it can be completed successfully. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That looks like a good way to repair it without pulling the windshield. Did you butt weld the new cowl parts to the old cowl parts or lap weld? I.E. butt weld the lower patch to lower cowl?

The pictures give me a good idea of the hat shape too! So, if I go the route of making one, I have an idea of what I need to do now. When I pull mine I will get the exact shape/dimensions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.I looked at the cowl again this am. The top cowl looks pretty good the lower part has some holes and weak spots the hats dont look real bad but are perforated at the base.This car will be media blasted so I have removed the glass, heater box ,dash and stearing column.Im leaning towards spliting the cowl and doing the repairs.How difficult is it to split the cowl,should I reconsider this approach? Ill try to post a few pics of the worst area later today.Thanks to all who have replied so for please keep the info coming.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
69 Rustang said:
Did you butt weld the new cowl parts to the old cowl parts or lap weld? I.E. butt weld the lower patch to lower cowl?
No, I did not remove the firewall insulation and I was afraid I would start a fire behind the dash if I welded it. I overlapped the patch and used body panel epoxy to fasten and seal it. I used sheetmetal screws to pull it in tight. I welded the outside lips that attach to the firewall and the upper cowl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts