Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing a 67 fastback c- code 3 speed car. The engine has been changed out with either a 73 or 74 302 engine with about 80,000 miles on it. THis is all the guy told me about it. How can I find out more on the engine so if I need to get parts I get the ones that fit it.
I just am trying to fix issues now before they come up and I am stuck on the road some where and no part that fits.
Thank,

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I have a 74 engine, and I have no problems finding parts for it. Anything that fits a 289 will fit it. But the 74 and 75 blocks have a higer deck height then any other year 302... so that means it probably has a low compression ratio. I made up for this by going with flat top pistons.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have a 74 302 in SWMBO's Capri, and it seem the water ports are different, I always forget and have to make an extra trip back to the store to get different intake gaskets. Just make sure the parts you replace match the ones you are installing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes see I am not sure what car it came out of so I can tell the parts guy. will the bock be stamped any where that I could tell if I get the vin #. ::

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't know what the others are talking about but i've seen a few 73-75 engines in my time and I've never seen one with wierd water ports or higher deck height(that would mean that it would need a wider intake. comprestion was lowered by big CC and dished pistons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts