Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used the pedals from a 71 on a 73? im in the process of swapping a richmond 5speed into my automatic vert and the only parts holding me back are pedals, z bar, eq bar, etc. i can get my hands on a setup from a 71 right now but i want to be sure it would work.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
The pedals between the 71 & 73 are identical in function, but there are some minor differences in the pedal support, the steering column clamping points as well as the fuse box mounting bracket.

You MUST get the pedal support with the pedals, otherwise you will have to fab up some sort of bushings or bearings for the clutch pedal.

There are also differences between the manual and power brake pedals and support. If you have power brakes, you will need to drill out weldnuts in the support if it's from a manual brake car. You can use your existing brake pedal, you'll just have to trim the pedal down to match the manual pedal size, it'll work just fine, been there, done that.

The clamp for the column is shaped differently, so try to get the one from the 71 if at all possible.

Also, some of the harness restraint clips on a 73 are not present on a 71, so use a couple zip-ties.

It's a bit of work to remove the pedal support, but it won't work any way else......

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm doing this conversion on my car now. I have a 71 Mach1 with a 460 and I'm installing a Richmond 5speed. Email me if you have any questions.

Later
Mark
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts