Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a chance of buying a 73 vert 'Q' code. The car has been stripped of all interior including all dash stuff. The engine is there, but no tranny. The car is a 'Q' code 351C 4v car. Is the fact it's a 4barrel car worth trying to restore a car that needs so much.

The car is pretty close to being rust free. I am told it has a little surface rust on one quarter and not sure of the pans. If I can get the car for less than a grand is it worth it?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
71-73's are very hard to get parts for, and not much is repoped. 351 4V cars arent rare or anything. I guess it would depend on the rest of the options, but I cant see that car being worth much as a restoration. Probably will lose money should you do it as an investment.

If you want a nice vert to drive and doont mind the time or $$$, then go for it. I think its can be SAVED, but it will take a lot of work.

I wouldnt go near it except to steal the engine :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
All 73 Mustang verts had a deluxe interior with a unique seat fabric that is unavailable. Also, all 73 "Q" code cars had the competition suspension. Your best bet would be to find a deluxe interior 73 coupe or fastback and strip all of the necessary parts from it. That will get you everything except the back seat. If the vert top mechanism is missing....

·
Registered
54 Posts
For that price, I would say go for it, as I would hate to pass up a Q code (I have an 72 M code RAM). But doing this with the knowledge that if it needs an entire paint job (up to several K with decals) and if the engine is near the end of its life that is 4k (in and turning the keys) for a 351. The fact the the interior has been striped worries me a bit, as it might mean that someone else has already done the math and doesn't like the math. I have seen individuals looking every where for 73 convertable parts. Are there rear interior quarters (right term?) to be found?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If you can get it that cheap, it should be worth that much as a "parts car" even if you decide not to restore it. If it were in my area, I would probably buy it. They may not be rare in some places, but they sure are in my area. If you check out www.traderonline.com, you will find several 73 convertibles for sale, but not many of them will have a 351 4v engine. Many people don't like the 73 convertibles, and I will agree that they are not the very best looking Mustang. However, there were more than 100,000 convertibles made in 1965 and only 11,853 made in 1973.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will take a look at it tonight, maybe post some pics before getting it. See what you guys think. I don't particularly like the 71-73 models, but when I was given this opportunity, I thought I should at least take a look at it. If for no other reason, to sell it to someone that may do something with it.

If I can get it cheap enough, maybe I will post it for sale here, anyone interested? I wouldn't ask much more than I payed, just don't want to see it hit a scrap yard.

Thanks to all that have posted.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 73 convertible and yes it is hard to find certain parts for my year mustang. I happen to think the 71-73 mustangs look the best but not that many people agree with me. If you could get it for 1000 I think that it is worth it but expect to spend around 1000 for all the interior parts. The rear interior quarter panels are the hardest interior parts to find.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
There is a local guy selling two 73 conv. cars and one of them is a 351C car. Not sure if it was a 4V or not. I think the 351C may be missing the door panels and wheels. It has some rust and i have only seen pictures so far.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 73 Q code that I am in the process of restoring. I bought it of less than 1000 but have spent 9000 in it. yes the parts are hard to find but they are out there. the worse thing I had to find was new NOS 1/4 panels I used the left one and still have the right one still wrapped in the orginal ford paper. My conv has power windows which makes it a rare find. The interior 1/4 panels are now being reproduced. I might still have a name if you need it. As far as seats the front seats are the same as a hard Top the back seat can be found. Pony Express near Washington DC has two conv on his yard. If you buy it and need some help write me at [email protected]

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
There were between 800 and 900 Q-code verts built in 1973. I can't remember the exact number from my Marti report but I want to say 896??? Maybe it was 856?? Something like that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have declined this guys offer to buy the car. After a bit of haggling and seeing the car, I have found out enough information to tell you guys if interested.

The car is for sale in Highland park Michigan. I do not believe the car is restorable. Too many items have been stripped, cut or are lost to rust. However, the car does have the following items that may be worthwhile:

Original (supposedly) 'Q' code 351C 4v
Hood in ok shape
Internal Quarter panels in the back seat(I think that is what it is called), it's the panel where the electric window control is. Both sides are there and are currently White. Maybe because of sunbleaching. The Convertible top mechanism is sitting in the car, but not sure if it's complete. Glass all around except windshield. Car had power windows!!!

Various other parts laying around.

The guy wants around $ 600.00 for the car.

Anyone interested? I have no pics (neither does he I believe)

The guys name is Ralf, his number is (586) 855-7835. The car is in the Detroit area.

Good luck,

Jay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts