Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change the gears in my mustang because the 3.00 gears won't cut the mustard with the gear ratios in the tremec 3550 I just installed. Unfortunately my ignorance is so great when it comes to rear ends that I don't even know where to start. I am not sure if I have a 8 or 9 inch rear and I was wondering if any of you guys would know which rear came in the 73 mustang convertibles with the c4 tranny.

I think that I am going to have to find a shop to do a gear swap or rear rebuild for me. I know I don't have the tools or knowledge needed to work on my rearend.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
There should be a tag on the front of the rear held on by one of the bolts in the center section. Get the numbers off of it and then we can decode it. Also, you can look on your door tag to see what is supposed to be on it - again a code, but easily decoded.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mustang came with a 302 engine but I managed to brake that engine long ago. I now have a 351w in my mustang from an 86 ford truck. Thanks for the information. I will have to get under my mustang and look and see what the tag says.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts