Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash lights on my 73 are super dim.I recently replaced my headlight switch(different reason). I've also given up on my guage cluster(readings eratic and incorrect)and replaced them with VDO.I've got the lights hooked up to my dash harness( which I assume goes thru the same regulator as the speedo/tach lights). The guage lights are nice and bright but my speedo/tach is barely lit. I assume that my problem is a ground or the printed circuit itself( not in the best of shape).This car is a project that I rescued from the crusher and I don't have any history with it.Am I headed in the right direction?Could the problem be the regulator(but then wouldn't the guage lights be dim too)? Any thoughts would be appreciated
Phord

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Welcome to the world of 71-73, the dash lights really suck.
Someone has a how too post out there onhow to make them brighter. DO a search and you may be able to fix it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The tach lights will NEVER be as bright as the VDO. The tach is also largely innacurate a lot of times, I've heard of them being as far as 800 RPM off. Replace it too.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
To fix the dim dash lights problem you have to remove and disassemble the instrument cluster. This will help: (1) remove the tinted covers from the dash light bulbs. (2) replace the dash light bulbs with slightly bigger bulbs (like a peanut-shaped bulb). (3) Use silver or white paint to paint every dark-colored surface in the instrument cluster that is not visible when the cluster is assembled and installed. If you do these things, the lighting level will not be great but it will be acceptable.

·
Registered
913 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info,guys. I appreciate it and will tell you how I make out. One way or another,they're gonna get brighter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts