Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash lights on my Mustang is almost unreadable at night. I have replaced the headlight switch and all of the 14 bulbs in the dash. Would this be controlled by a regulator on the back of the cluster? If so, where is a good source for this part? Also the clock is dead. Will this fix the clock as well or will it require separate attention?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
The voltage regulator won't solve your dim dash lights or your dead clock. If your gauges are working properly, the VR is also. There are a couple ways to improve the brightness of the dash panel. One is to remove the gauge bezels and paint the visors bright white. Another is to trim the flange from the actual gauge faces to allow more light to pass to the face. That's what I did and it worked great. Do a search and you can find more detail on both methods.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
This thread from yesterday might be a useful read.

- Gord

·
Registered
144 Posts
I removed the blue bulb covers, sprayed the yellowed white plastic housing a flat white and replaced all bulbs with the blue ones. Looks great. Not terribly brite but brite enough. You could even use clear bulbs to make it even brighter.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Use 590 bulbs. The stock 194s are 2 MCSD (Mean Spherical Candelas = brighness). 590s are 4 MCSD. 194s are rated at 2500 hours, 590s at 2000 hours. The amps go from 0.27 to 0.37, which means a bit more heat, but I haven't melted my cluster yet. If you think that is too much, try 168s at 3 MCSD and 0.35 amps.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The clock most likely has a fried contact inside. They are serviceable (I used Clock Works), but some folks opt to drop in a modern set of works but reuse the face/hands. Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
The dash clock can be repaired. Mine is the type that is where the tach would normally be. Mine was dead also. When I pulled my cluster to paint and swap bulbs, I sent the clock out to be repaired. I sent the clock to a person in Kentucky that does a lot of auto clock repair. He replaced it with an NOS movement. Works great now. My old movement was fried. Cost about $100. He can also repair a movement if its not too far gone. I will post his email address later today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts