Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. New user here, but this is one helluva site and I think I will be hanging out here more often. This is my first classic car, and I am just learning the ropes so bear with me. Here is my question.

The driver side fender on my 1973 convertible is dented. It has a pretty nice fold in the metal, so repair is out (this car went 30 years without bondo and I am not going to be the one to put it on there). I would like to replace it with an original if I could find one with little rust. Can I use a fender from any 1973 model (coupe, mach, etc)? Can I use one from 1971 or 1972 to replace it?

If you reply and can possibly point me in the right direction of where to find one, I wont hold that against you either. LOL. I am in the Western Suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i believe that the 73s are slightly diff. from the 71-72's.but i could be wrong.good luck.i saw some on [censored] yesterday. they were for sale with a bunch of parts off a 72 mach 1. not sure if they would fit or not.

·
Registered
278 Posts
73's are different than the 71 & 72's. Right up where the bumper meets the fender is different. As stated above, you might be surprised that the damage is repairable....let us take a look.
If not, email me...I know of a few here in Oklahoma...but might not be worth the expense to ship.
Rich

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
73 Fenders are unique to 73's. Coupe, convertible, fastback within 73 are all
interchangeable.
D

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
here's how you tell the difference:

draw an imaginary horizontal line along the top of the marker light opening toward the front bumper. if that line hits the top of the bumber notch, it's a '73. if that line is well below the top of the notch, it's a '71-2.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. At least now I know if i am going to replace, what I should look for. I will see if i can snag the digital camera from work today and snap a pic of the damage. And maybe a pic of the rest of the car for my profile. Thanks again, Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts