Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FMX auto trans in my 73 Mach 1 seems to be slipping slightly when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. How do you adjust the bands on this or should I have it done ( I never have it done, I prefer to do it myself). Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I adjusted the bands on an fmx in a 74 galaxie. If I remember correctly, there are 2 places to make adjustments. One is external(on the outside of the casing) and of course the other is an internal(inside the pan). I believe that the one inside the pan is the one you want for the 2-3 band. the other external one is for Reverse-1 band. the chiltons book recommended a special tool,and some complicated process. I did it with a wrench and a screwdriver. Since I was working on the Rev.-1 band,(external) I made my adjustment 1/4 of a turn at a time. It only took one try and we had reverse again, where there was no reverse at all. The adjuster consisted of a threaded rod with a slotted end for your screwdriver to fit into. this rod has a jam nut to hold it tight. Loosen the jam nut and tighten the threaded rod 1/4 of a turn. button it up and take it for a test spin. this may take a few tries.Since you will be inside the pan, you may use alot of fluid if you have to make several adjustments, but i recommend only a little at a time. you should change the filter and fluid while you are there anyway. good luck

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
let me know if you have any luck. My friend was pricing trannies and preparing to pull it before we made the adjustment. It's been six months and about 10,000 miles. Seems to be doing fine. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts