Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of trying to remove the Heater box on a 73 with Air. What is the correct procedure for removing the AC and Heater lines? Once I have the box out, I have a new heater core to install. Is there anything else in the box that would need attention? Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
When removing the heater hoses, I generally just slice them a couple inches up their length at the connection and peel them off. Pays to just install new hoses, cheap insurance.

There really isn't much inside the heater box, so all you really need to do is swap the core. Be careful with the control cables. Maybe lube up the pivots with some oil and a fresch coat of semigloss black and it'll be good as new.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Well to do it right, You should have the R-12 removed by a professional. It will cost you a bundle to have r-12 put back in. Unless you use a product called Freeze 12 which is fake R-12 but is legal.
Clean the box out good before you put it back in and Like Hemi said lube everything up.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The heater box will come out without removing the dashboard, but you have to get it in just the right position. IIRC you have to remove the vent flapper to get the heater core out. To get the flapper out you have to remove the hinge pin. Lube the hinge pin and pull it out the side of the box. Be careful not to put too much strain on the box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts