Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after the failure of my rigged up clutch cable setup. I decided to go hydraulic after seeing a post by a fellow stanger. While not easy, the master cylinder went in without a hitch. The pedal worked on the first attempt. I danced for a while after that.

Now I just have to make a bracket for the slave cylinder and run lines to it. Does anyone have a template for the bracket? If not no sweat I'll figure it out.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I finished my hydraulic setup a couple of weeks ago. I might have a template depending on what trans is in your car. If you don't have a TKO, I can at least send you a pic of approx what the setup should look like. There are some helpful hints as well. Use a piece of cardboard to determine the proper shape and hole locations. After I made the cardboard template, I cut it out of 1/4" wood (much easier to work with than steel). Once you have the wood template exactly how you want it, it's time to go to work on the 1/4" steel plate. If you have welding capabilities, the bracket is very easy to fabricate. Just drop me a line and let me know if I can be of any help.

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude you are the man!! It is you who inspired me to do the hydraulic setup. I am installing a Tremec 3550 but I have no access to a welder. I have figured out the dimensions needed to mount the slave and I will go to work on that this afternoon.

Whis me luck!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Good luck! I thought of a way around it that will not require any welding. Normally, the bracket would look like a flat piece of steel (to which you would bolt each end to the trans)...then it would have an extension that looks a lot like a shark fin coming straight out of the middle (to which you bolt the slave). If you were to put a 90 degree bend in the "fin" where it meets the upper part of the bracket, you could easily bolt it to the bracket rather than welding it as I did. If you heat the steel with a torch to bend it and then quench it in oil, it should be almost as strong as welding. The best part is that the bend's weakest point is not affected by the stress of the slave pushing b/c it is in the opposite direction! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Good luck!

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts