Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad clunk when I engage Reverse in the mustang. Was going to install new UJs but when mechanic investigated he said they were fine. Problem is coming from the gearbox. There is alot of play in the output shaft (can move it up and down and side to side by hand when car is in neutral)

Has anyone else had this problem. The outer bearing looks pretty new so I'm wondering is it possible to replace the output shaft without dropping the tranny or do you think the problem is deeper..........

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The output shaft has a c-clip inside, in front of the most rearward low/reverse drum.
Sorry but the shaft and governor (1 assembly) only comes out after removing the c-clip and unbolting the tail cone.

My guess is that the bolts holding your distributor sleeve onto the rear of the transmission center case have vibrated out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Are you getting all this movement in your output shaft with the driveshaft in, or out? If you are getting it with he driveshaft out, it's probably normal. If you get it with the driveshaft in, it's a worn tail housing bushing, or worn yoke, or both. The tail housing bushing and driveshaft yoke are what support the rear of the output shaft.

Lots of times, a nasty reverse engagement clunk can occur when the low reverse band is worn or out of adjustment. Both it and the reverse/high clutch must engage for reverse. If the band is slow coming on, the reverse/high clutch engages first and this spins up the geartrain. Then the band come on and tries to stop the rotation. Result can be a clunk, or nasty harsh reverse engagement.

Not quite sure what you are referring to as the "outer bearing". Please elaborate.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts