Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 73 convertible that he is taking to get appraised tonight. It is a nice car with fresh paint, 429cj(1971)with ram air, c6 auto. It was originally a 351c car.Kelly blue book says the value on this car with the 429 and ram air is 19-32k. This doesn't make sense to me, the 429 wasn't offered in 73, so why does Kelly say to add 35%?? Does the fact that this car has the 429 really add to the value being that it is not original? He feels the appraiser is going to come in at least at 19k. Is he setting himself up to be disappointed? TFOB-if you read this, this is the green convertible that was at the Grand Rapids show.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
its the 429CJ engine giving it the value and with the ram air, then the condition of the car...

like you said it. that engine was not offered in the Mustang in 72-73.

19k seems kinda high though... my opinion of course

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Oh ya I saw that car, that is a very nice Convertible. He did an outstanding job detailing the engine bay to look factory.
I just had Mine appraised a month ago at $17,000. They don't neccesarily go by wether or not it is original. That fact that it has a 429 does make a difference. It is when you go to sell it your people that want original will not be interested. a 71 with the 429 will be worth a lot more than the 73. I would say he would come in anywhere between $17,000 & $19,000. There is a good story that goes along with this vert. Maybe you can talk your freind into checking the VMF out and telling it?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I read your post reply and please dont take my opinion wrong /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you get it appraised? Locally? Cost? We both live in Jackson, there aren't any "mustang" appraisers around here. He's taking it to a guy that knows his stuff, but typically deals with '30's to '50's stuff. It's been 12 years since I had mine appraised, I should have it done again.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I went to C.A.R. distributers in Holland Here. Bernie Bouman
own's it. He deals in Mustang and early Ford stuff. He did it for free. All I did was call him up and he said to come on over.
No Problem Damangeln

1 - 6 of 6 Posts