Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt realize how damn hard it is to remove the brake pedal carrier unit from under the dash. I cant afford zbar stuff and original pedals so I decided to make due with some easier to find parts. the clutch pedal from a 95 GT mustang.

Yes I know I just went through all kinds of trouble to change to the AOD, but now I just want a 5 speed.

The problem is I still havent gotten the carrier out of my car.

Good news is that all of the carrier units in 71-73's have the hole through them for the clutch pedal to go through, so all I did was take the pedal unit out of the 95 car. remove the nut that holds the clutch pedal on the carrier, and then remove the pedal and slide out the rod that the pedal bolts to, retain both of these because you will need them of course. Then take a dye grinder and cut the welds that hold the tube that the clutch pedal rides in, remove this from the 95 unit, weld it in place in the 71 - 73 unit, slide the rod through it and bolt you new clutch pedal on. Then all you have to do is go and buy a clutch cable and quadrant. Your ready to drive (so thats what im looking at anyway once I get the damn unit out of my car lol)

So there is my plan. What do you guys think?

BTW are there any bolts that hold this damn thing in the car that are hidden (invisible)?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Which tranny fits better in the 71 - 73. The longer input shaft version or the shorter input shaft version? I know the bell housings are different depths. So which one lines up better with the hole in the floor for the shifter?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More work on this project today, got the pedal carrier out of my car, installed the clutch pedal, and reinstalled. Tomorrow I will hook up the clutch cable and install the trans. Coming along nicely though.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Post some pics, I'm interested to see the fit of the 95 pedal...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey, you still owe us pics and a write-up on the AOD conversion! You can't be switching over to a 5-speed. LOL. Just kidding, let us know how it goes.

By the way what are you planning on doing with all the AOD conversion stuff? I'm interested.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know, Ive been really really busy with work here for the past few months. I do plan on doing that for you guys though. The aod swap is really simple when you have an FMX in your car. Anyway, I would be interested in getting rid of the aod stuff, What all do you want? The tranny also? Where are you located.

BTW, NANCEB, I STILL NEED TO SEND YOU SOME MONEY!! I havent forgotten!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have an FMX transmission currently and need everything for the AOD swap. I'm not sure it would be economical to ship a tranny to Tucson, AZ but we can discuss it. How many miles does the AOD have on it? Is it rebuilt and if so any upgrades? PM me a list of what you got and your asking price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts