Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I took the car for a ride today everything was fine, it was a really hot day in california, but no problem at all, started the car a few times - around 7pm i needed to move the car, and it would not start anymore :
-The battery is fully charged and new I tested it
- the lights and everything electrical is operating fine
but as soon as i try to start the car I get one single click sound, and then all the power is gone

What do you think? I m going to change the battery cable (positive) that is really old and the solenoid but I wonder if it could simply be a fuse- or maybe the starter .

PS : I added a photo of the solenoid which is really old but could be the starter or something else..

Anyone has any Idea? thanks so much

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks will try this tomorrow, I just took one of the battery cable off and it doesnt look pretty, i ll change it hopefully it s just this cable and not the starter

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also forgot to mention :
1) put the key in everything lights up, turn the key to start the car
2) One single click battery sparks (ground terminal of battery) then power is off

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sounds like the ground connection at the battery is bad. If your ground cable looks like the positive, replace it as well.

·
Premium Member
13,352 Posts
Also forgot to mention :
1) put the key in everything lights up, turn the key to start the car
2) One single click battery sparks (ground terminal of battery) then power is off

A very common indicator of extremely poor battery cable to battery post connections. Your cable in the photo is junk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to everyone who reached out to help I appreciate it!
Update : I changed the battery cable (positive one) and it started immediately.

I tried to change the Ground battery cable as well(because even though it starts it is extremely damaged) but the thing is so old and rusted that I couldnt get it out of there (I am a girl and pure strength is not my greatest quality ) I'm wondering what kind of tool I could use to facilitate the removal of the ground bolt

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Any kind of pipe or something like that that you can use to make your ratchet handle longer will make it easier to get the bolt loose. The longer the handle is the more leverage it gives you (go Archimedes!)

It probably wouldn't hurt to spray some Kroil or PBBlaster or something like that on the bolt beforehand to help loosen it up too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts