Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter has a 78 Continental 460. Ran until tranny only liked reverse. Any parts I should strip for mustangs before I junk it?

JB

·
Registered
680 Posts
the 460.....rear is a 9.7 or something strange, so no good...Might look close at those front disc brakes. Should be 13".....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The C-6 tranny would be a nice piece to hold on to. The block would be ok, but is too tall and needs to be cut down. I would keep all the accessories and brackets. The heads would make good door stops or paperweights.
A 460 will slip right into a 71-73 mustang, matched with a set of 460 Edlebrock heads it would make quite the hot rod.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, the engine runs, but should probably be rebuilt.
Should I hop it up, or is there enough snort in the 460 to just leave it alone. I may put it in the 73 Mach. That 351c runs fine, but what the heck...

JB

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine & trans are a bolt in for your 'Stang. Make sure the center section is a 9" not a 93/8" & keep it too. Most of the rest isn't worth a hoot unless you need parts for a Lincoln. Engine mounts are the same as a 429/460 in a '72/76 Montego/Torino/Elite. It's a fun swap, I've done many. If you wanna hot rod it the heads will have to go too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine is a keeper but probably not the tranny. Most C6's found in the continentals had an extended tailshaft that adds even more length and weight (I learned this the hard way and now have a hundred pound paper weight sitting on the workbench). A stock 460 is nice but there is a ton of performance pieces to really wake it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts