Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
See my 1967 parts needs in my signature below!
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was encouraged to start a build thread for this F250 project. I'm making something Ford never did: a dentside (73-79) short bed SuperCab 4x4.

It was a parts truck with a rusty cab, Swiss cheese doors, and no bed that I bought Spring of 2020. It was just supposed to donate its high pinion Dana 44 font axle to my recently LS swapped Jeep Wrangler, but after getting this $400 beater home I noticed the Edelbrock intake and Carter AFB sporting 400 had a remanufacture label and had been rebuilt in the recent past. It had been sitting for who knows how long in the desert and the motor was stuck, but I told myself if I can get it running I might build it...On a budget!

With ATF down the intake & a can of PB Blaster later I was able to get it to turn over, then run. I changed the fluids and then drove it a short distance. The 4-speed, 205 transfer case, and differentials checked out fine. Surprisingly, the motor pulled pretty good.

Next, I followed up with the seller to see if I could buy the SuperCab he was selling too. I was too late. He already sold it to a Jeep guy who wanted the front end. I tracked the buyer down and was able to purchase the cab with three doors and a 9" nodular rearend all for $150. Unfortunately, he already took the frame to the recycler.

Quickly, I went to the scrapper and found the frame. It was a modified regular cab frame to accommodate the SuperCab. I got the frame back half knowing I'd need to lengthen my frame. It came with a decent rear bumper; all for $20.

I didn't photograph the truck before swapping cabs, but here is the SuperCab as I first saw it sitting on a F150 frame.

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting

I began collecting parts when I bought some trim for $75.
Blue Water Wood Hood Electric blue

I paid $100 for a rough set of seats from a 2004-2008 F150.
Chair Motor vehicle Automotive design Armrest Head restraint

Motor vehicle Tire Chair Automotive tire Gas

Since the tires were trashed with mismatched wheels,, I bought some used 17" Dodge wheels for $80 and put on used 35" tires I bought for $225 just to get it rolling. I picked up the Ford center caps for $20. I decided I'm going to figure out a way to make the 8x6.69 (170mm) Ford caps work on the 8x6.5 '03-'13 Dodge wheels.
Watch Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

The 1973-1979 dentside trucks have the following wheelbases:
Long bed SuperCab 155"​
Short bed regular cab 117"​
Long bed regular cab 133"​

The regular cab to SuperCab difference is 22" (155-133=22).

Regular long to regular short bed difference is 16" (133-117=16).

Supercab short bed is 139" wheelbase (133+22-16=139).

Therefore, I need to remove 16" from the bed & lengthen the frame 6". Alternatively, I am going to see if I can either slide the leaf spring mounts back a couple inches & drill the leaf pack centering bolt back a couple inches to center the wheels. If so, I won't cut the frame.

Photos of various bed lengths:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

I think the long bed is too long.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

I don't like the stubby bed.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

This looks just right.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The SuperCab is just resting on the frame. I need to move the rear cab mounts back and position it correctly. The maroon front clip and frame are from the original truck. The green door is one of the extras that came with the SuperCab.

I bought a long bed for $50 from an old farmer and stacked it on the truck.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

I got started on it. I just chopped the bed Saturday.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

I plan to paint it Coral (aka Calypso Coral and Poppy Red in the Mustang department). Here's the color I want to replicate, but I am also thinking of keeping the original SuperCab color (similar to, but not quite, emberglo). I got time to figure that out.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Gonna do a 7.3 godzilla swap?
That would be nice, but no. I'll keep the 400 for now. If I swap the motor I'll do a 7.3 powerstroke, stroker 408W or maybe use an extra LS I have sitting around. But that would be way down the road.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
Way to hustle tracking down the Jeep guy and the junk yard. That's a real steal on the 9"N!!!!

I'll be following.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible, 5.0HO EFI, AOD
669 Posts
This is going to be an awesome build. But I'm not that familiar with these trucks. Someone please help me out.
Ford made a dentside shortbed SuperCab, but not 4X4? or not F250?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I hope it turns out well.

I replaced some missing brake hardware...The only thing holding the caliper on was the rim of the wheel.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fish

Ford made a dentside shortbed SuperCab, but not 4X4? or not F250?
No 4x4 SuperCab short beds were made. 2wd, yes. Just not a 4x4.

Reactions: QuietChris and DonP

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
F250 Frankensides....ha ha.
Neat project. My Great Uncle made a big impression on me as a young man with similar project. Just an old farmer with a tombstone welder, he wanted an F350, with short bed, flareside, in 4x4. So he took his 70 sumthin super cab longbed F350 with 460 and cut down the frame, found the bed he wanted and built the truck the way he wanted. Not only did it impress me with his can-do farmer skills, it showed me what could be done with a little determination and careful thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts