Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My apologies in advance, as I’m sure this has been covered, but I can’t seem to figure out the correct sequence of search terms to find it...

Also, pardon me for being wordy, but I want to be super-detailed so that I don’t get a bunch of “why don’t you just” suggestions.

I’ve got a ‘68 Mustang with the factory installed 8” rear axle. I just re-did the brakes on this axle. I’ve got a 289 making 350-ish horsepower and I NEED a limited slip and gears really bad. I’ve got a buddy with a 9” out of a 67 Mustang. It’s just a core, but I figure it would be better to rebuild that axle than to rebuild the 8”, especially because I’m considering swapping in a 390FE at some point down the road. The brake drums on his 9” are a mess; I would have to replace everything, and as I said, my brakes on the 8” are brand new.

Can I use my 1968 8” Mustang drum brakes on a 1967 9” Mustang axle housing? If the answer is yes, are they the exact same brakes? If they are not the same brakes, but I can use them, then what is the difference, and is there any detriment to taking this approach?

I suppose I should also state that, for personal reasons, I have no interest in using an aftermarket 9” housing with big bearing axle tubes or any of the other trick and/or fancy parts that are available. I know the factory Mustang 9” probably has it’s drawbacks, but I’m ok with them.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
87 Posts
As long as you are going from small bearing to small bearing you are good. I did this so I could run my old brakes on my new axle.

·
Registered
563 Posts
As others have said,sure.
Only thing I can think of, the 67 9" doesn't use a left and right wheel cylinder, same part both sides.
So the entry angle to the cylinder of the brake line across the housing on one side is different.
Should be able to use the 8" line though.

·
Registered
33,629 Posts
As others have said,sure.
Only thing I can think of, the 67 9" doesn't use a left and right wheel cylinder, same part both sides.
So the entry angle to the cylinder of the brake line across the housing on one side is different.
Should be able to use the 8" line though.
Just swap EVERYTHING over, including backing plates. No need to even disassemble the brake components... don't forget to pick up a couple paper gaskets for between the housing and backing plates.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just swap EVERYTHING over, including backing plates. No need to even disassemble the brake components... don't forget to pick up a couple paper gaskets for between the housing and backing plates.
Thanks Woodchuck! I found out yesterday that the axles are the same too!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Inspect the backing plates for wear where the shoes ride on the plate.

Mine had grooves wore in them, I quick trip to a muffler shop and they welded the pads and ground them smooth. Good as new for $20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts