Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finally getting around to fixing leaking diff but can’t get it off.

I’ve picked all the copper washer I can get from around the studs. I can’t get it to budge no matter what tool/hammer I use.

I think between the remaining copper that I can’t get out and the rtv I used is what’s really binding it up.

What options do I have? Is knocking the studs in a solution? Is it possible to pull them back through or do I need to pull the axle housing to get them pressed back in properly?

Or should I just pull the housing and work it on the bench? Spent all night trying to loosen it under the car.

(And yes,I’ve removed both axles)

Words of wisdom?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You need to get all the washers off. Every little bit. They can be very frustrating. It will come off. You just have to keep trying.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Cut that seal all the way around with a putty knife, as much as you can before prying or BMF hammering. Cast iron WILL chip and break.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Stuck copper washers needs to be removed first. I have sometimes used a jack under the car and a LITTLE push up on the yoke, to break the third member loose from the gasket/RTV.

·
Premium Member
7,512 Posts
I can only add to what's been offered, it's very heavy, so, be prepared. Cradle, as much as you can, with a trolly jack. The weight, itself, together with all of the studs makes it very tough to start moving on the studs. I've used a heavy duty putty knife with a "dead blow" hammer to begin the process. It will move, at some point.
Again, it is heavy!

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
Once the gasket seal has been broken loose the pumpkin must came straight away from the rear end housing. If you let one side (top or bottom, left or right) get ahead of the other side the pumpkin will hang up on the studs. It must go back in square also or it will hang up on the studs. Laying on your back, trying to hold the pumpkin up and guide it off or on the studs when it gets hung up can be a frightening event if you think of what can happen if your arms give out and drop that thing on your head!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to close this out- putty knife (and patience) got it broke loose. Thoroughly cleaned everything of all the old rtv and oil.
Trying a lube locker gasket torqued to spec. My fingers are crossed that I won’t have to do that again for a long while. I’m getting to old to bench press the pumpkin?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts