Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I found an 8.8 rear already cut down for a 65. It just needs to have the right u joint to adapt to my drive shaft. will I need t cut down my driveshaft? What else would I need to update besides the rotors and pads too? Is it worth it, or should i just upgrade to a 9?

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Why did you dump the original 8”?

They’re pretty strong from the factory.

·
Dimples
4,122 Posts
Yes it’s worth it. I did have to cut down my driveshaft and the company who did it put on a new yoke on the back to accept the newer c-clip style joint. I’m using a 1030/3010 swap u-joint.
Here are some notes from my swap:

use the flange from the explorer driveshaft on your mustang driveshaftand a 3030 to 3010 conversion u joint

U-Joint to Flange Adaptor Ford PN E9TZ-4782-B 4 Flange Bolt Ford PN N800594-S100

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt dump the 8. I have it. THis 8.8 came up and was considering it for the limited slip. Would I need bigger U bolts and plates for the shocks?

·
Dimples
4,122 Posts
I didnt dump the 8. I have it. THis 8.8 came up and was considering it for the limited slip. Would I need bigger U bolts and plates for the shocks?
Yes to the U bolts and plates.
You may find this thread helpful.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't see any cons on upgrading then. Should I be worried about the high gear? I think its either 3.50 or 3.75?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Can't see any cons on upgrading then. Should I be worried about the high gear? I think its either 3.50 or 3.75?
Depends on the motor you have (power it puts out). If it's a pretty basic 289, you'll probably really like the new gears...will really wake it up. If you have a power monster in the car, then you'll rip through the lower gears really fast and might not like them. They're already in there, so I'd run and see how you like it. They can be swapped out later if you don't like them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on the motor you have (power it puts out). If it's a pretty basic 289, you'll probably really like the new gears...will really wake it up. If you have a power monster in the car, then you'll rip through the lower gears really fast and might not like them. They're already in there, so I'd run and see how you like it. They can be swapped out later if you don't like them.
i have a 347. What about driving at high speeds on the highway?

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Why not just swap out the chunk for a trac loc in the installed 8”?

Wouldn’t that be the easiest?

·
Dimples
4,122 Posts
Since you have an AOD, it'll be fine. 3.73's would be too steep for me if you had a C4, but that's not an issue here. I'm running at just over 2K RPM at 70 MPH with my T5.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Did you buy the car to drive or to work on?Try and break the C4 first.
Unless you have 400hp+ AND are stupid with it I would save the multi-level hassle and put a different chunk in the 8"
The 8.8 is said to be "just about" as strong as a 9" but much lighter and takes less HP to spin though

·
Dimples
4,122 Posts
im on the fence on these two options.
For me it came down to the financial side of it. It was going to cost several hundred dollars to upgrade my 8” to 3.73’s and to drive both wheels. Not to mention the maintenance (bearings/seals) that it needed. From that point, it was pretty simple math to go with the newer, stronger 8.8 with discs. The e-brake remains an unsolved mystery though. I’ll get to that later.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to swap in a third member with limited slip, it’s going to be about $700.

this 8.8 that is cut down already will cost me 150. the new pads and rotors, lines, spring plate and u bolts and u joint adapter, not to mention cutting the driveshaft. I’m thinking it will be dead even costs...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It ended up not being a posi. I thought most 8.8 had limited slip. Based on the tag it’s basically the same as my 8”? It is cut down to size for a 65 66 already. Anyone wanna buy it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts