Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. on a 77 ltd there is a rear end with cover that comes off. that makes it an 8.8 inch right? are they any good? my main question is will it fit my 66 if i get it cut down? is this worth it? do they make many parts for these like? it has drum brakes with these fins for cooling also. what do you all think. id like to get it to get one of those nice shiny aluminum covers on the back.lol. thanx

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I wouldn't invest any money in that differential. Consider that it certainly has a highway gearset that would have to be replaced with something more sporting and you'd be throwing good money after bad.

One swap that has intrigued me is an 8.8 from a 70s Granada into an early car. In theory, this diff should bolt right up (perhaps with a rear U-Joint conversion). Almost every V8 Granada I've looked under has one of these rears - so they're plentiful. Combine it with an aftermarket 3.55 gearset and I'd think you'd have a pretty nice set up for an early car.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Are you sure the 8.8 was under the Granada's, etc in the 70's? I would have thought it would have been the weaker 7.5"

I don't think the 8.8 was around until the mid 80's

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
313 Posts
In case your interested, here's a link to measurements from 8.8" rears that can be used in early 'Stangs. I put this together last year when the subject came up.

http://1trick.stangnet.com/faq/8.8rear.html

Dave J

My wife says if I buy another Mustang, she's gonna divorce me. I'm sure gonna miss her....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts