Vintage Mustang Forums banner

8.8 swap in a 67 pros and cons ???

26K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  68_GT 
I got an explorer 8.8 for my 68 for $125. It has disc brakes, locker rear end with SUV extra clutch packs, and a 373 gear. The rear end is wider so it will work it just changes things for the wheel off sets. Fine with me I want to push my rear wheels / tires out more anyway. After I get mine in I plan to have my rear wheels widened and get wider tires. My 245/45 17's look puny and too tucked under the rear. The Explorer rear has the center chunk off set more to one side. I heard the floor pan just needs to be pushed in some where the off set center section will hit.

I want to know what drive shaft etc.. needs to be used to make the 8.8 work with an AOD transmission ???

Mustang Steve suggested I used an 03/04 Cobra masrtercylinder for my 4 wheel disc brakes since I'm going to stay manual brakes. I have 12.5in +'05 Mustang discs / calipers for my fronts.

Sounds the the cobra master is the way to go will it work good with the original 4 piston K/H front disks ? anyone used that combo ? 68GT you happen to know the straight reservoir restodude talked about ? might end up being cheaper in the end since i need a new master anyways just use the cobra one and not buy all original replacements.

No booster saves me room to thats a good idea and got a few votes for it now and restodude i also have a 67 coupe check out the build in my sig.

68GT just had to add i love your car looks amazing
Thanks !! I don't know about all that I bought my front brakes and adapter plates from Mustang Steve and I got my Explorer rear end from a 4X4 shop that had it sitting around since the 373 gears are not sought after by off road guys. All my parts on on my garage floor :0/

how is it running do you still have the rear un narrowed? ANY problems
with your trans or other running with offset pumpkin?
no issues but the car has mostly been down since. The driving I have done has been totally normal with the rear. And no its not narrowed it seems to be pretty darnn close if not exact on the width compared to the original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.