Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know which one is better Equal Loc or Traction Loc 8" rear. I know they aren't as strong as a 9" but which of the two type 8" would be a better choice.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i could be mistaken however i think equa lock was just a ford name for traction loc, i think they are the same? my 1973 shop manuel makes no mention of tracion-lock rather it mentions equa lock, i think thats ford name for it? ::

·
4,132 Posts
The basic difference is that the "equa-loc" has 3 clutch plates and the "trac-loc" has 4 clutch plates. So if more is better then that makes the trac-loc better. fd

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Believe me when I say this...

Equa-loc is NOT trac-loc.... Equa-loc was the predecessor to trac-loc... lasted until... '69 or so... it was meant more for traction control rather than actual power... yes, it will lock up as long as the wheels stay relatively equal in torque... which is great... but if you hit a patch of sand, and the torque gets really high, the wheels WILL break lose of each other and you'll just wear out clutch plates...

Trac-loc on the other hand is built so that as one wheel starts to increase in torque the clutch would grab tighter and pull both of them back into lock. The equa-loc does NOT have this.

If you're doing anything performance, get trac-loc and make SURE it's trac-loc.

Go here to find out the specifics on what to look for.

There should be a section about half way to 2/3 way down dealing with "How to identify a Posi".

·
Registered
412 Posts
contact memeber "Denver" ...he knows all about this. I bought a rebuilt 8" t-loc from him and it works great.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
T Loks have 4 tab clutch plates and E Loks have 5 tab clutches. They do not interchange. 5 tabs can not be bought from a store at all. I know one guy who reproduces them.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
re:the wheels WILL break lose of each other and you'll just wear out clutch plates...
------------
El Presidente is on to something here....the trac loc units promoted a smoother transition from the locked to the slip mode, a more gradual torque transfer when turning while reducing the
breaking loose of the tires (due to the extra clutch)....that seemed to plague the Equaloc units.

quite an improvement IMHO and longevity was improved upon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts