Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a number of times in the wanted section, with NO luck. Does anyone have any ideas where a posi for an 8" can be found, Jegs, Summit, ?????
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'm pretty sure both JEGs and Summit sell an Auburn Gear posi set up for about $350.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glenn for the quick reply, I'll try them in the morning. I've tried the web sites for both, but they don't show them on-line.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i've seen 8" center sections on ebay. More often there 9". I'm thinking of getting one myself but not until fall. Posi is the GM name for a limited slip so technically you will never find a posi unit for your car. Its late and i can't remember what ford called it on the 8" rear end.

Motor

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Ford calls them either the Equa-Lok (early) or Trac-Lok (late).
Posi is a universally accepted term for what you are talking about.

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1590489&a=12113030&p=43871256&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I don't accept. To me, Posi is General Mistakes term. I like LSD, oh, no, not like that but Limited Slip Differential. Well, frankly I don't know how long I will keep this up, but even when I don't protest anymore, I will still refuse to use it :)

Door handle first when cornering

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Okay. Not universally accepted term. How about, most of the people I know, use the term "posi" to describe a limited slip rear end.

When the Mustang was first introduced, it brought about the description of "pony car." Later, when GM started selling Camaro, it too was referred to as a pony car. Is this correct? I don't know. As long as we can communicate what we are talking about so people can understand, that's all that really matters. Words and phrases become generic all the time, even though they may have orginally been used to describe a specific thing. Many people don't really know an Equa-Lok from a Trac-Lok. But they know what a posi is.

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1590489&a=12113030&p=43871256&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts