Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for pricing for a used rebuildable 8' rear end from a 66 A Code Coupe. I have an outstanding opening price of $130, but don't know if I should accept the opening offer as I've never bought an item like this before or make a counter offer. The initial pic looks very clean with only surface rust. I've requested more, but no response at this moment. And if you have one for less, let me know about those too!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Does it have the brake set up?
What kind of gears (highway I'm guessing)?

I got my 8" for $40 then got the brakes from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Well, I took a good 2.79 open rear (with axles but no brakes) to a swap meet last winter. Put a $75 price on it and had no takers. Dropped the price to 50 bucks and sold it.

The gear ratio, style (open or trak-loc) and condition drive the price. Since 2.79 opens are THE most-common 8s, mine went cheap.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I sold a perfectly good 8 inch with 2.8 pumkin and new bearings and seals (no seals) for $125 IIRC (it was either 125 or 150 I can't recal the exact price) with the axles but not the brakes

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing 2.79s or 3.00 for gearing. I see the backing plates and one drum and it looks like brake hardware is attached. From past experience, I'd replace drums and shoes anyway along with all the small hardware.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Since it is from an A code most likely it is a 3.00:1 rear end

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what's supposed to be in the car, but I've got a 7.5 with who knows what instead! I've got to get it out along with the rest of the transplanted I6 driveline.

·
Registered
310 Posts
8in. open rears drum->drum with center go $50-75 here..

·
Registered
123 Posts
i just bought mine from a fellow VMFer for $125 drum to drum with all brake lines and emergency brake cables intact. iTs a 2.80. I think it was a pretty fiar price for a 8 inch at least from the prices ive seen here in CA.

Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts