Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 67 I have a 8" 3.08 rear end. It has some problems (constant donking noise like something is donking left to right repeatedly). I want to upgrade it to a 3.25 or 3.50 and posi if possible. I have heard that mustang II's are a good source of posi 8".
Does anyone know how I might easily identify if a scrapyard mustang II (or pinto?) has a posi and what ratio? Anyone know of the door still code for them? Do they even use the code method like our mustangs do?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
One way to determine posi is to turn one of the rear wheels by hand and see if the other wheel turns in the reverse direction. If that happens it's not a traction Lok rear. I think you can determine a rough estimate of the rear gear ratio by turning one rear wheel one revolution and counting how many times the drive shaft or pinion shaft turns. If the drive shaft turns 3.55 times you have a 3.55:1 ratio.

Hope that helps,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The 'donking' noise might be a worn-out race.

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

'67 coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
PM MrGEM - He knows all those codes. I think he said that the posi 3.25 or 3.55 for the mustang IIs was an "X" code rear. He was nice enough to look for one for me out near his home in CO, but did not turn one up. Good luck! Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its something, bearing or race but so long as it doesnt make a really bad noise like metal on metal I should be OK. It has done this for a long time and I have wanted to upgrade for a while also. I'll kill two birds with one shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts