Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, haven't logged on in a while. Bought a new Triumph so I've been busy customizing that and not working on the car much. But, some friends and I decided to drive our classics from LA up to Laguna Seca this year for the historic races in August. So I am working on the car trying to get it ready and the only 2 issues left to deal with are the leaking rear and the leaking oil pan.

Spent the last 2 nights pulling the axles, draining the diff, and then resealing it. Went out this morning and discovered it is still leaking. But, as it turns out, it is leaking out of the pinion housing and not at the carrier like I though. In fact I think that has been the leak all along. Which is kind of good new bad news. It leaves about a quarter sized spot overnight which isn't huge. But it either leaks or it doesn't and I want it to "doesn't."

So I ordered a new o-ring and it should be here by the weekend but I haven't done one in a while and figured I would ask the collective wisdom here and see what the thinking is on the best way to tackle this.

When I was a mechanic I always just lubed the O-ring with a little gear oil then torqued the housing down in 2 steps being sure to use the same shims. I never used any sort of sealer or anything and never had a problem. I was talking to my Dad about it (more of a MOPAR guy to be honest) and he was saying I should use sealer to lube the O-ring?

Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
It is straight forward to replace the O ring but you might want to replace the pinion seal while you are in there. I have found the it is the pinion seal that leaks most often.

·
Registered
35,336 Posts
Ford didn't use anything other than fresh gear oil on the o-ring during installation so neither would I. On the OTHER hand, they did apply sealant to the outside metal portion of the pinion seal when installing.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, the 3rd member is only 3k miles old and pinion seal is fine. Thank God. I will look closer when I get home but it appears to be leaking right where the pinion housing mounts so I have a feeling it's been the o-ring all along. I actually ordered it as a whole unit from a reputable builder on ebay. TJ, has built more of these than I have ever seen and it was a good deal, so made sense. But I have been dealing with leaks since new. Will pull the housing, replace the o-ring and reseal the threads and torque the bolts and hopefully will be good to go.

Up next will be the oil pan. Right now the back of my jeep looks like a summit catalogue exploded. 2-new road race oil pans one moroso and one scott drake, 2 new pickups, a moroso one piece gasket, and one from ford racing as well. New drain plug gaskets, new hardware, right stuff sealer, dipsticks, oil dye and UV light, etc. etc. you get the idea.

I'm gonna make this thing oil tight if it kills me. I spent so much time making sure the bottom of this car looks as good as the top and crawling underneath it to clean off oil is getting old! In all my years as a wrench I only ever had one leaky come-back. Was a transmission pan on an F-250 when I was about 19, I believe. And yet, on this car nothing wants to seal up tight. I suspect running my 289 timing cover on a roller block isn't helping but I wanted it to look like a 289, so this is the price for that I suppose.

EDIT* I also checked the vent while I was under there last night. It's clear. This is a pretty fresh build and I literally went through every single part while building it.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, as it turns out it wasn't my pinion housing leaking. Well it sort of was and wasn't. One of the 5 bolts, the one in about the 8 o'clock position was weeping along with the one in the 6 o"clock position. Pulled them, degreased everything yet again, installed liberal amounts of thread sealer and took the car out for about an hour long drive. Let it sit for a few hours and went out to check for leaks. All good now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts