Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out the 8" to a 9"rear. But i have no clue on where to start. Well I guess what i need are the dimension for a 9" rearend that will bolt-on to my 66 mustang. What year and model has a 9" (with the larger bearing if possible) that will fit on my 66 mustang. I dont care for the ratio or if it has a posi. I was looking at Currie for a custom rear but again i was stump when it cam to the dimension. I'm guessing all 66 rears are the same dimensions, so can anyone please give me the complete dimension for a 9" rear to fit on a 66 stang.
Thanks alot

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i recently stumbled across a 57 ford rear. its perfect. i havent bolted it down yet, but should be fine. realize they are not that easy to find though, but if you do. its easy. i did chg from the 291 gear to a 373 i founf in a buck-saver book already set up for 50.00. pretty lucky on all that i guess. good luck>

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i'm waiting on a granada rear end fr my 67 (59.25" wide) . the granda is 58" the 66 mustang is 57.25. Its supposed to be a direct bolt in on my 67. granada/monarch rear ends are not exactly easy to find but you may be more lucky than me. The lincoln versailles is also the same width. the versailles had disc brakes that are not exactly state of the art. The versailles needs minor modifcation to bolt in. Something about the alignment pin of the spring mounts is a larger diameter hole. Both of these rear ends have a strong housing compaired to the ones they put in mustangs. The granada is small bearing and i think so is the versailles. So if you can live with the wheels sitting out 1/2 inch wider

The only other bolt in option is the rare 9" rear end from a 64.5-66.

A currie was going to run me $2,500 delivered. when i talked to them and said i wanted it to bolt up to a 67 mustang and be the stock size they didn't ask me any dimensioning questions at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts