Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Where would be a good place to find spare parts for a 66 8 track tape player?

Would a 73 Mustang tape player offer any interchangable parts?

Thanks,
John Thomas

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hi,

Where would be a good place to find spare parts for a 66 8 track tape player?

Would a 73 Mustang tape player offer any interchangable parts?
The 66 8-track player was made by Motorola and the '73 variety was most likely made by Philco as Ford bought them several years prior so they're probably not very compatible internally.

I checked my schematics cache and I don't have one for either radio. :(

What parts are you looking for? There are places out there that sell belts if that's what you need.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't need a belt, but there is an internal component with some corrossion (maybe a transformer or something like that). It is about a 1 inch square that is wrapped with fine copper wire, there are 2 or 3 of them in the bottom rear, right corner of the player (looking at it from the front).

The radio playes great, but not the tape player. The 8 track motor turns, and the tracks change, but all that comes across the speakers is hisssssss, and some static if I jiggle the tape.

If you have any tips, please let me know. I can send you a picture via e-mail if that would help.

I've seen troubleshooting guides on [censored], but I've never been lucky enough to win one of the auctions on those.

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The component you're describing is either the power supply filter coil or the output transformer. Considering the radio is working these are probably not the problem.

The 8 track and radio use the same amplifier/output so you can rule out that section too. The only things left are the parts of the 8 track before the amplifier.

I never had the pleasure of working on one of these beasts but the thing the next thing I'd check are the heads. Try to find a vintage electronics forum and ask how to do some basic checks. They'll probably have some tips to isolate the problem by touching components with a screwdriver or your finger.

If you do need new parts (and not just a cleaning/lube) you can try to hunt down the SAMS Photofact for this radio (try ehay) and that will give a breakdown of all parts and the part numbers from various manufacturers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts