Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 66 Mustang 8 track tape player. The AM radio plays great. The 8 track tape player doesn't. The motor turns, the tracks change, but the only sound is a "hhhiiisss" through the speakers.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting guides or information about these players?

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Most common problem is a broken drive belt. I've picked them up at electronics supply houses.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

The drive belt is intact and functional.

Thanks though,
John Thomas

G

·
Try denatured alcahol to clean the head,,,if that does not help,,,then service is required. I have serviced a many of those,,,,most were just very minor troubles,,,,switch-engagement troubles,,dirty heads,,belt,on the rare ocasion,,a bad transistor in the pre-amplifier area of the tape playback.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sounds to me like the head might be bad.... try cleaning as suggested earlier. If that doesn't produce results take a small metal screwdriver and gently touch the leads connected to the back of the heads while also touching the blade and you should hear a loud hum through the speakers if so this indicates the tape preamp is good and the heads are bad. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts