Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Mike: This has been a hotly-debated topic here for a long time. Ford says absoulutely do not use an 8 behind a Windsor in their hot rodding manuals. However, a properly-built 4-spider 8 should hold up OK if you don't let the car get seriously hooked up. Jim Vogle is right about the advantages of an 8's lower weight. I think his 8-inch has given him good service and he runs his 289 car pretty hard. Since my 351 puts out about 360hp, I went ahead and had a serious 9-incher built for about $1,000. It may be overkill in my case. I'm just not sure. 385 is big-block horsepower - so you may want to bite the bullet and do a 9.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Mike - Like I said, this topic always gets lots of varying opinions. For all the reasons that Jim V has stated, I really wanted a 4-spider 8 in my car. The differential guy I went to to have one built (along with my machinist) talked me out of it and into a 9-inch. Jim is a pretty serious open track guy and has first hand experience, so I'd give alot of weight to what he says. I may well have more differential than I'll ever need because, like you, I expect an occasional Sunday at the drags, but I'll never be doing regular 5-grand launches with slicks - I leave that sort of thing to guys like Pat *G*.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.