Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad found a 1980 Granada with front disc brakes. It's a 6 cylinder car, so we can't use the rearend for my V-8 swap (too small), but I'm assuming we can use the front disc brakes to do the swap thing? If I understand correctly, I just need the inner tie rods from the Granada? along with the spindle, rotors, etc., of course. Could I use the complete tie rod sets from the Granada and use them on the remainder of the 6 cylinder components on my car (remember, I have a 6 cylinder Mustang - going to V-8 some day). Would someone please confirm all this for me. Thanks

andy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you talk about coil springs, you're talking about the rearend, right? yeah, dad said it does have coils, but we're not going to use it anyway.

Thanks.

andy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i beleive it is the outer tie rods u need, not the inner. if ur going to a v8 then i would just wait and get the brakes off a donor granada that has a v8. no point in having to change things. i just picked up spindles from a 78 granada. its got the big 11 inch rotors. look around and dont get into a rush. i also think it is better to just buy the tie rod and not use adapters. seems like a solid tie rod would be a bit stronger. i think they are around 15 bucks or so at autozone. not sure. i just got new calipers yesterday. 13 bucks. pretty good. well. good luck.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
66conv is talking about a Fox bodied Granada. If it has MacPherson struts then it is a Fox body and you are out of luck :(

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, should I tell my dad to go ahead and get the disc brake set up off of this 80 Granada or not. I don't know if the "standard" disc brakes were different on 6 and V-8 Granadas.

thanks very much, again,

andy

·
Registered
123 Posts
A pre-1980 Granada should be the chassis you're looking for. They went to the Fox-chassis in 81.

V8 and six cylinder Granadas from 75-80 all had the same 11" front brakes, contrary to some reports, I have never seen a smaller rotor or caliper. I think the confusion on that issue comes from the later 81-82 chassis with smaller 4-lug 10" rotors.

A six cylinder granada might have an 8"', 9" or an integral rear(the 9" is unlikely, but possible). An 8" or 9" Granada rear end will be more than adequate for most V8 swaps. Unless you have some kind of fire breathing small block the 8" is fine. If it's one of those integral rears with the removeable rear cover, pass. It is too difficult to upgrade gears, etc.

Jack Collins
1966 Mustang Coupe
250 Aussie Crossflow / T-5

Visit the Mustang Six Website!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think the six cyl car has 10 inch disc brake rotors. Get the V8 Granada discs. They are 11 inches in diameter.

The steel bushing when inserted with the outer tierods are VERY solid and won't go anywhere. "Mustang Steve" is an engineer by trade. His technical discussions are very good. I bought plans ($10) from him that show a simple FORD PARTS conversion for dual master cylinder AND power brakes that fit like factory on a 65-66. http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/

Officer! I wasn't speeding! I was just flying low!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noooo, they don't. Like MustangSix pointed out, all I6 and V8 Granandas were the same from '75 thru '80. In 1981 they became Fox chasis.

You will be fine taking everything from this car you need. I pulled the spindles/brakes off an '80 Granada along with a 9" rearend and the car was a six cylinder. The rotors ARE 11" just like all the rest of the pre-81 cars. If the rearend is an integral carrier, pass on it.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dad says it's got a rear cover, so we'll pass on the rear end, but he will see what kind of deal he can work on the disc brake stuff. thanks, guys. I really appreciate your help. Like I said, dad is a Mopar guy, but really likes helping me on my little "Stang. Says the Mustang is the one Ford he'd like to have for himself one day. thanks, again. probably have more questions as this project gets going.

andy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whoa, u mean i can pull the rear out of that 78 granada also? hmm. itll fit under a 66? hmmm......interesting. as for the rotor size, now i know, just figured theyd be smaller for a 6. thanx for the info. let me know about that rear end please.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm going to do some measuring on my 66's rearend (backing plate to backing plate, spring perches) and my dad is going to measure the rearend on the Granada, just to be sure everything measures up fine.

andy

·
Registered
123 Posts
The spring perches are identical, but the tubes are larger on the Granada. The granada rear will be 3/4" wider (3/8" each side) than your six cylinder rear.

A better fitting rear for a 65-66 would be an 8" out of a Maverick or Comet. It also has the same 43" spring perch dimension, but is 1/2" narrower than the old rear allowing bigger tires to fit better. Just look for a Maverick with a 5 lug rear.

Jack Collins
1966 Mustang Coupe
250 Aussie Crossflow / T-5

Visit the Mustang Six Website!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts