Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I posted about my fun last nite with the alternator. I spent another 3 1/2 hours today mounting the thing...wrong. Though its in place I may not change it, then again I may. But here is how it looks so far in the pics below.

I went to the shop this morning and dug around through the smog and bracket junk bucket and found the original 81 302 alt brackets. Then over to my dad's shop with a BFH, chisel and hacksaw to remove the other alt brkt set up off a junk 302. Then on to the farm. I swapped the triangle bracket for the 81 brkt. This made sense since the alt pivot mounting bolt was in the same place, yet the hole for the support/adjustment lever was located closer to the alternator. This allowed me to use another support lever which fits great...on the backside. However, mounting the support/adjustment lever to the front side of the alt causes it to hit the alt fan blades. The 81 lever was too short. The green arrow in the leftmost alternator picture shows where I ground a groove from the head bracket which the pivot bolt fastens to. This gave me clearance for the dipstick tube to clear.

I noticed vintage mustang alternators are mounted further right. I can't see any way of making mine fit up that way. Topdeadcenter explained it to me. But I still can't see where the vintage setup would work with this alternator and the location of the pivot bolt hole on the bracket. I have a hunch this alternator is a "one size fits all" application for GM, Ford and Mopar? Notice the close tolerances between the rear housing and the head bracket bolts. (arrows on the right hand pic) But anyways its in. Nothing is in a bind, mis-aligned or kluged together...its just not original looking, thats all.

Another discovery about the 81 302...There is no threaded hole for the clutch ball bushing at the rear of the block!! Another little nasty! ;) Ford did away with the hole in about 79 because all the clutches then used cables instead of mechanical linkages. Arrow in the lower left pic shows where the threaded hole would be if this was an earlier 302. So I built the ball bushing bracket from a heavily modified/shaped piece of angle iron.

Luckily that project was simple compared to the alt nightmare. :) First, I measured the location of the ball bushing pin on a junked 302. I needed to be able to bolt the bracket to the block, so I tapped the hole which the bellhousing alignment boss is inserted. After grinding off the block flashing and some extra casting, I cut the angle iron for the bracket and trued it up. I drilled a hole in the bracket and stuck a 1/2" bolt through it. That should hold the bracket in place!!! Then I cut the threaded end off the ball bushing pin and located and welded it to the bracket. Cleaned and painted it and stuck it to the block. Hopefully I'm within 1/8" of where that ball bushing is supposed to be positioned.

The engine is now ready to hang from the cherry picker and I can install the clutch assy and tranny. Still have 100 acres of hay to stack so progress on the car will be slowed for awhile. I posted about getting the thing running this weekend, but that was waaaaaaaay too optimistic a goal! Even getting the engine in the car was too much to do this weekend. Maybe next weekend huh? ::

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Well if everything would have worked out right it would have been sitting in the car. But as you know so well now, that only happens on tv! Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts