Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AOD trans out of an 89 mustang that needs rebuilding for my 67 convertable and want to fix the known problems . I have heard some people use the internals from 4r70w's. What would be the best year and application to find for parts?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I was going to suggest what TommyK posted, lots of good info there. I bought a custom valve body from the site vendor SilverFox - Home
Talked to Dan on the phone and he helped me decide what level of VB would match what i'm doing with the car, I decided on the level SPT-1R as it'll be a DD that see's some track time and a 2500-2800 stall. The R model also gave me the solenoid installed so that I can flip a switch to disengage the OD if I'm at the track and only want the trans to shift 1-2-3 for 1/4mi. It also allows me to shift 1-2-3 manually without doing the 1-D-1 shuffle. Not bad for the price compared to TCI.

I had the trans gone through by a local trans shop and he suggested (sorry, not BorgWarner) Raybestos Blue clutches which were installed. I want to be able to use but not abuse the trans and make sure it holds together for a while and plan to drive 2-3hrs. to the drags, race and drive home. I don't plan to hammer it 10i/10ths as mentioned but may go 8/10's to enjoy myself and not pound the car.

I'm just installing the drivetrain with a ~400hp/tq? 333 stroker, once running I'll use the stock shifter first then probably switch to a B&M quicksilver when I build a custom console, then I'll be able to ratchet shift.
Jon

·
Registered
393 Posts
Jon,
when you come over we will have to talk about trans options for the drag car. I was thinking of using an AOD just because of the lower 1st gear ratio than the C4. The 4R70W is even lower I think

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I also have an interest in this. I have an AOD from a 90 model car that was working fine when pulled. I have heard these are not bad for DIY rebuild and have seen soft part rebuild kits pretty reasonable.

Dtech - do you plan to rebuild yours yourself?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I will build it myself. I have built many transmissions in my past life as a master auto tech. I have e-mailed silverfox and he has several kits available. I will be into it for about 400-600 when done with it. I just need to pick the cam for my 347 and that will tell me what torque converter i will need.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I also have an interest in this. I have an AOD from a 90 model car that was working fine when pulled. I have heard these are not bad for DIY rebuild and have seen soft part rebuild kits pretty reasonable.

Dtech - do you plan to rebuild yours yourself?
Is there an instruction manual or something for re-building these things yourself? I am fairly comfortable with most things mechanical, but automatic transmissions scare me (I think they run on magic).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts