Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a bit of a Frankenstein here and was wondering if anyone has done this. On the 67 we have a 302/347 with Borgeson Power steering kit (came with a Saginaw pump and a V belt pulley) and I am using the serpentine system off an 89 Mustang. I have the stock power steering pump off the 89 but need the serpentine pulley on the Saginaw pump. Can I swap the Ford OEM serpentine pulley onto the Saginaw pump? OR do I need to find a different serpentine pulley for the Saginaw pump? Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fox pumps are garbage either way. Saginaw will last much longer and has better output at idle when you need it most and plus its brand new and came with the Borgeson kit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would think the harder part would be adapting the Saginaw pump to the Fox body bracketry. (If thats a word) I think you can get serpentine pulleys for the Saginaw pumps though. I ran the Fox pump on mine and just built my own lines to go to the Borgeson box.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The saginaw comes with braketry. It's a kit built for conversions

·
Registered
400 Posts
You would still need to space the pump and bracket to match up to the other accessories. If you don't get this right you will burn through belts. Ask me how I know...

P

·
0 Posts
Fox pumps are garbage either way. Saginaw will last much longer and has better output at idle when you need it most and plus its brand new and came with the Borgeson kit.
Having driven over 200,000 miles miles with 1980-90sFord pumps, I certainly do not know here you are coming from with a comment like that..

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
I don't know the actual answer but if you have to you might be able to source a pulley from an Econoline van. Late 1980's through the last 5.8 in 1996 they had Saginaws with six rib serpentine pulleys.
(Put a Saginaw setup on my F150 and finally got rid of that Ford whine.)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've never had a problem with the 80s-90s pumps? Every Ford pickup, Bronco or van from that era Ive been in has an annoying whine. Maybe they don't last as long here in the Midwest

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm not sure what a siganaw pump looks like. But I just put a power steering kit from Chocko Stang Dan on my 351w witch has a serpentine from a 89 5.0. I pulled the vbelt pully off the pump and found a Mazda b2000 pump and the pully was a perfect match. And my system is working perfectly. If u want il snap some pics for you to show you tomorrow

·
Registered
100 Posts
Every ford vehicle that I have had with that power steering pump has whined. The bad part is you can't buy a new pump even from Ford. I changed over to the Saginaw pump and have never been happier, got my pulley from an Econoline van as well.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya id like to see your set up for sure- If you have time. I just ordered a power steering pulley for a 1993 E-150 with a 5.8. I'll give it a shot

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Subscribing. I'm using the 5.0 brackets and using a hydroboost unit. The folks I got the hydroboost from told me to use a Saginaw pump, they said the Sagiinaw output is greater. I have a Ford pump from a F250 diesel I'm going to try, and if that doesn't work too well, I can now switch to the Saginaw unit using the bracket posted above.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Ford van is the ticket. You can pull the pulley at any pick n pull yard. They are full of those old vans. If you pull the whole driver's side bracket, you can end up making money on the deal. There is a market for those brackets as they are a direct swap for the truck brackets and allow you to use the saginaw on any 5.0 or 5.8 truck with serpentine belts. I use the E-150 bracket to run a Saginaw and hydroboost on my '96 5.8 Bronco. On my 65 GT I am going EPS.

Good luck.

Baxter

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Ford van is the ticket. You can pull the pulley at any pick n pull yard. They are full of those old vans. If you pull the whole driver's side bracket, you can end up making money on the deal. There is a market for those brackets as they are a direct swap for the truck brackets and allow you to use the saginaw on any 5.0 or 5.8 truck with serpentine belts. I use the E-150 bracket to run a Saginaw and hydroboost on my '96 5.8 Bronco. On my 65 GT I am going EPS.

Good luck.

Baxter
The nice thing about the van brackets, (other than the Saginaw pump) is that they bolt to the heads and not the block or water pump, the only difference between 5.0 and 5.8 is the length of the belt. If you use the whole system you get a better alternator and AC compressor as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts