·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed the seller of this item to tell him he had this item mis-labelled
(ok so I felt like tilting at windmills). He replied that he was sorry to burst
my bubble but that this rear came out of a 71 mach and has a flange-to-flange
measurement of 56". Can anyone set me straight on this? If I'm wrong, I might
want to bid on the damn thing, but I don't think I'm wrong.

Item #1850563636

·
Registered
967 Posts
Everything that I have read indicates that if flange to flange is 56 inches than it would fit a 71-73 stang. The big hump on the back plus the 56 inch flange to flange measurement make me believe that he has it labeled correctly as a 9 inch from 71-73 stang.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Also agree with others 9 inch. Whether or not out of a mustang is different question though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Flange to flange distance has nothing to do with it being 8" or 9". (for example, both 8" and 9" rears were put in 1970 mustangs but both versions would have the same flange to flange distance as they fit the same car!)

However, be careful - I believe this seller is talking about the backing plate flanges while many 'flange to flange' dimensions more commonly refer to the axle flanges (or wheel mounting surface).

Although the bump-out may be more drastic, I thought some 8" rears also had the bump - maybe I'm wrong on that one?

G

·
0 Posts
Unanimous... it's a 9. The center section is incorrect for the 'Stang. It would not have a 2:73 cog & a 31 spline. Not a bad price though.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree it is a 9", there were no 8 inchers with humps in back (there are smooth back 9 inchers however). The 2V 351 Mustang in 73 was available with the 2.75 ratio, but it would have been 28 spline. Few cars would be found with the 31 spline axles/centers.His pictures are dark and it would be nice to see front of carrier-it almost looks like it could be a double ribbed case-now an N case would have the 31 spline axles used in conjunction, but the 2.73 ratio would not seem right.He doesn't show axle shafts or brakes in picture either ??

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's right (about the hump/no hump)!! I didn't think that that was difinitive of 8" vs 9" but I had it backwards as far as which way could be either one!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts