Vintage Mustang Forums banner

9" housing questions

985 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Is 54" the correct width for 69 Mustang? The 9" housing is out of a 69 Cougar...Would there be any difference?
Also, Is there anything that would need to be done to the housing if I plan to put 31 spline axle setup in it when it was originally a 28 spline unit?

#2 ·
How about 54 1/4"...?? *G*

For 31 spline axles about the only thing I can think of is the correct axle bearing....you'll likely have the small bearing housing so you need the correct bearing to fit the larger 31 spline axles in it...
I have a similar unit in the race car...

Cougar should work fine IIRC...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

#3 ·
Original 28 spline axles in a nine inch rear appear to be the same 28 spline axles in a eight inch rear. Their shortcoming is the taper or reduced diameter area near the splines. This can cause axle twist and other bad things. It may be possible to use that housing, pumpkin, and bearing size with a much stronger 28 spline axle from Mosler, Currie, etc. without having to even pull the pumpkin.

Hope this helps,

Russ

your url here.JPG

G
#4 ·
Thanks for info. Right now I am only going to have the housing, no pumpkin, axles, etc. I have a 69 r-code that at sometime had the 9" rear swapped out and replaced with a 8" rear. So now I am just trying to piece together a correct 9" rear assembly.

G
#5 ·
I think the housings are the same for 31 and 28 spline , but I'm not quite sure. 31 spline uses different seals. The ID of the 31 spline seals is larger than the 28 spline seals. Also , when you get the 31 spline axles make sure they still have the little metal sleeve on them. This metal sleeve is what seals the larger ID seal to the axle. As far as I can figure , the 31 spline axles are fatter on the splined end , thats why they used a larger ID seal. If you used a 28 spline seal you could risk cutting the seal when installing the 31 spline axles. Also , if I remember correctly , staggered shock cars have different axles housing than non staggered shock cars , I think it has something to do with the breather mounting, but I'm a liitle fuzzy on the specifics. Actually I just looked at the assembly manual , it lists Boss 302 and CJ cars as having the same rear housing. Everything else has a different housing. The difference seems to be that Boss cars and CJ's have a separate mounting for the brake distribution block and the breather. Where as all other s mount the distribution block with a breather like thingy. So Boss cars and CJ's have two holes in the housing and everything else has one hole. I guess if you had to you could drill another hole on the housing and thread it for the breather , you just need to get the location correct.

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

G
#8 ·
Jim Osborne assembly manuals are available from most mustang parts suppliers. I got mine from Virginia Mustang. There is a whole series of manuals ; Chasis , Body , Electrical ....

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.