Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Were Mustangs the only cars that used the necked-down 9" housings? And, if so, how many years used them? And is this one of those?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Since the factory 9 inch in my 69 M1 has one, I'd say at least 65 to 70. Don't know about 71-73.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The early 57-59 housings had a taper tube. Forget which years.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The early 57-59 housings had a taper tube. Forget which years.
I’ve got an early 9” (57-59) in my 65 and it doesn’t have tapered tubes. Maybe it was a small/large car thing? Mine is a small bearing rear end.

Reactions: RTM

·
Registered
463 Posts
The 9” out of a ‘73 Cougar had reduced tubes and 28 spline axles.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
'65/'66 were the only years where the tubes necked down about 6" from the flange. The spring perches were located in the necked down area so smaller u-bolts were used.
Many 9 " rear ends neck down about 2" from the flange but they use full size u-bolts.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Were the 9's put only behind Hi-po's? I can't see them putting them behind an A-code. The reason for all of my curiosity is that there is one for sale locally. I figure that even if the only real benefit is a better ratio, for what he's asking, I can't even buy a steeper chunk. Looks like all that was offered in a 9 was 3:00 and bigger. Currently running a 2:79. There's also the potential for a bigger brake package. Sell my clean, painted 8" and perhaps break even.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Yes, the 9" in '65/'66 Mustang was standard equipment with the K code and was not available as an option with any other engine. Since it was only in the K cars there is a limited quantity of them out there.
That being said, you can cut the axle tubes out of a '65/'66 8" and weld them into a 9" center section and create your own version of the unique K code 9".

·
Registered
997 Posts
Were the 9's put only behind Hi-po's? I can't see them putting them behind an A-code. The reason for all of my curiosity is that there is one for sale locally. I figure that even if the only real benefit is a better ratio, for what he's asking, I can't even buy a steeper chunk. Looks like all that was offered in a 9 was 3:00 and bigger. Currently running a 2:79. There's also the potential for a bigger brake package. Sell my clean, painted 8" and perhaps break even.
If the axle bearings are the same size, the brake packages can swap between the 8" and 9" axles.

I've seen 9" gear ratios in 2.80 and lower in newer model cars for fuel economy. Think late 70's to early 80's big cars. Mercury, LTD, T-birds, etc

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I’ve got an early 9” (57-59) in my 65 and it doesn’t have tapered tubes. Maybe it was a small/large car thing? Mine is a small bearing rear end.
Here's what I have. Round back side with the dimples. The tubes taper down but not by much. I did have an identical housing that did not taper. For some reason the leaf spring pads are not in the correct spot on the housing I have.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there a part number stamped anywhere on the housing that will tell me what it was in originally?

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Is there a part number stamped anywhere on the housing that will tell me what it was in originally?
No. But the length from flange to flange is a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Yes, the 9" in '65/'66 Mustang was standard equipment with the K code and was not available as an option with any other engine. Since it was only in the K cars there is a limited quantity of them out there.
That being said, you can cut the axle tubes out of a '65/'66 8" and weld them into a 9" center section and create your own version of the unique K code 9".
Or you could just buy a reproduction 1965 or 1966 Mustang 9" axle housing. Both are available.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts