Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
The 2 common ways to measure a rear end are Wheel Mounting Surface-to-Wheel Mounting Surface of the complete rear end assembly and Flange-to-Flange of the bare housing. I don't know what you are measuring in your photo. For the '65/'66 Mustangs WMS-to-WMS is 57.25". F-to-F is 52.25".

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just bought the rear. It has the correct length and 3:50 open gears. The fill plug is in the carrier, not the back of the housing. Any ideas on what it was in originally? Also, the back is irregularly shaped, not round.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
I now see a photo attached to your original post. That is not a '65/'66 Mustang K code 9". In post #12 I posted a photo of the real thing and there is only one "step down". The housing in your photo has two step downs like the one in this Daze article. That is the 9" housing with 8" axle tubes.

It only matters if you are wanting original but if you don't have a K code there's no reason to go original.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I bought it because I couldn't even get a better gear for what I paid for the whole thing. I already have some larger u-bolts as even though the tubes are tapered they're still larger than the early Mustang tubes. Any idea what it's from?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Why a heavier 9" open rear end that is going to need who knows what modifications to fit your car? Not really judging, just curious. Still a one wheel peel.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
This is what's in it now. Seller said 49.25 on the one he has.
View attachment 762719
The '65-66 Mustang rear is 52-1/4 inches wide, from axle flange to axle flange. The only NARROWER 9-inch rear I can imagine would only be marginally so... maybe 51-1/2 or so... from a HiPo '63-65 Fairlane... 49-1/4? Thinking somebody shortened it a "tad".

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Why a heavier 9" open rear end that is going to need who knows what modifications to fit your car? Not really judging, just curious. Still a one wheel peel.
I had an axle before that used the larger u-bolts so I already have the bolts and plates to mount it. And a posi for the 9" is actually easier to come by than for the 8".

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here is the housing end. 28-spline axle, 53 inch overall bare length. Now, what in the world is it?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Were Mustangs the only cars that used the necked-down 9" housings? And, if so, how many years used them? And is this one of those? View attachment 762529

This looks like a cut down 9 inch axle with the outer 8 inch axle tubes welded in. I had several of these done like this many years ago. Would like to see a close up of the weld at the first taper ot step down.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the only way to get a 9" in a Granada was to order the Trailer Towing package which got you the same 9" that was standard in the Versailles and included disc brakes. This rear end doesn't have disc brakes.

That's the same as a Mustang.

The 1980 Granada was available with a drum brake 9" rearend.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts