Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the going price for a set of used axles for a 9 inch? What is the length I am looking for? I have a 9 inch with 31 spline posi but have 28 spline axles. Is it cheaper to convert the 3rd memeber to 28 or buy new/used axles? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just a guess, but 31 spline axels would be MUCH cheaper and a better investment than changing a "posi" pumpkin. Especially if it is in good condition with the gear set that you want. If the gear is wrong, "then" you have a choice of "whatever". If you cannot find used stuff, Currie enterprise makes them new. They are on-line, or look in any mustang magazine for a phone #. BTW, 31 spline would be much stronger. The axels are differnent lengths drivers side compared to passenger side. As long as they are from a 67, or 68 and are 31 spline, they should fit. If you haven't, replace bearings, axle housing seals while your at it. Bearings have to be pressed on/off. I took mine to a local machine shop.

·
Registered
471 Posts
youcould also go to parts wanted section and see if anybody has some cheaper than buying new and when you do it replace all seals and bearings do the job once its easier in the end. ::

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
first off.....what do you know about the condition of the 3rd member for CERTAIN ??? does it need clutches ? is the clutch side gear splines in good cond. ??? does it need new bearings and seals ??? all these will play a factor in the decision. the kit to change from 31 to 28 spline is $115 shipped(from me) so if it doesn't need clutches you could get by cheaper than buying new 31 spl. axles......and if it needs clutches then it needed rebuilding anyway so why not change it to 28 while you're at it ? now the question is are you planning a 450+ hp BB in the future ??? if not then 28 spline will be fine.....if so then I'd opt. for the 31 as you'll need them later anyway. just a little for you to think about :: :: ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't be exactly sure about the condition. Is there anyway to find out? The PO obviously had it apart and some work done to it but cannot provide any paper work to support it. I don't plan on running anything bigger than a 350HP 351, and I don't plan on racing it, just want it there for those damn rice cooker cars....Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
The only way to know for sure if the unit is in good working order is to apply torque to the unit and see how much torque it takes to get the trac loc to slip. I for get the correct torque numbern is, something like 200 ftlb?

I use to be able to get the 28 spline conversion pieces for under $100. I haven't checked on them in a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts