Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lolita now has a Currie 9" with 3.25 Detroit Locker. Pretty routine install, no issues at all except the need to redrill and trim the spring plates to fit larger the u-bolts and 11" brake backing plates. I indulged in a much larger driveshaft too - 3 1/2 " vs stock 2 3/4 "

A funny thing happened - the car is now smoother at 65 mph than it was before - I believe the higher RPM and lower manifold pressure resulted in killing a harmonic vibration she had before the swap. Yippee!

Now to the results - OMG !!! We have liftoff !!! Car was fast before, brutally fast now. The bad news - Top speed dropped from around 165 to "only" 140... Lolita has very short tires, 24" diameter, thus the specific speeds may be lower than a car with bigger tires, and the effective rear ratio would be 3.50 compared to a car with 26" tires -

Slapper bars go on today - she needs 'em pretty bad !

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you installed a quality (aluminum) driveshaft, that's probably the reason for the lack of vibration...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
167 actually, at 6700 rpm with the old 2.80's. Oh, did I mention it was on the dyno ?

The early 'stangs are well known for having the aerodynamics of a billboard... I doubt it would have run much over 150 for that very reason. 140, on the other hand is attainable with the available horsepower. Which is not the same thing as actually being advisable !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts